Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now That Is An Odd Coincidence

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    So I got my new issue of Bass Player in the mail yesterday, and I'm flipping through. I get to page 23, and there's an ad for some pedal with Bill Dickens holding his signature model Conklin seven-string. Flip to the opposite side of the page, and the first ad in the upper corner is for Hill Customs, their first ad ever in Bass Player. Right next to the Hill ad is an Elrick ad.

My last three bass purchases, in order of when they were purchased, were a Bill Dickens model Conklin seven-string, a Hill Custom, and an Elrick.

Well, it's weird to me anyways.

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    The planets are aligned. Go and buy a lottery ticket.

:eyebrow:

:)

3. Those Hill basses are a nice shape.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Now all you can do is sit back and wait for what we all know is comming.

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

So, obviously you need to go buy a EA and an Epifani head! :hyper:

Dan K.

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    What? Is he now going to buy the Epifani amp and the iAMP?

:D

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    You beat me by a minute Dan.

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i was lucky enough to be able to play a Hill bass in a store a few months ago. it was nestled in with the Ken Smiths and was by far my favorite.

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Me too!!

:hyper:

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Peterson's rock!... They are best when you do your own set ups... I bet the strobo-stomp is just as precise.

At NAMM (nash-vegas) a couple years ago they had this big pipe-organ thing that used all Guiness bottles tuned (by the Peterson of course) to play pitch!

11. Wow, arent you a rich little son of a gun. :mad:

;)

12. If only that would happen with the next issue of Playboy :D
    Well I guess if your Charlie Sheen.

13. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Crazy. Funny you should mention that... The last 3 assignments I handed in at uni for a particular subject were assignment 1, then 2, then 3... I got the marks back first for number 1, then number 2, then number 3... I'm freaked man. I'm also a sarcastic little smartass :smug:

You should go buy a lottery ticket or something. Or get another bass. You must be rolling in it if they were your last 3 purchases.

14. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ahahahahaha i was thinking the same thing... lmao

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not at all, actually. I got the Conklin used for $850 and my Elrick singlecut used for $2400. The Hill was pricey but I paid it off over a seven-month period. My wife also paid for 3/4 of the Elrick with her share of our income tax return. If you consider that I don't drive (=no gas or car expenses) and I really don't spend much money on anything else (inexpensive clothes and my average meal costs about $2), then it's really not much.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    For a die-hard four-stringer like you? Wouldn't that be like going squirrel hunting with a bazooka? :D

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Mmmm....I wish I was getting an iAmp :) I guess if you follow the order of the page, I'd be getting a Godlyke bass next, but I can't see that ever happening.

18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia

I like the way you prioritise. I have uni and car expenses, girlfriend expenses (which I don't mind), and my 2 jobs don't really give me that much money to play with, so I guess you are in a good situation. At least your significant other supports your bass habbits. My girlfriend plays bass but won't spend a cent on anything remotely bass related for birthdays and xmas and such.

19. yeah i was looking at the peterson strobo stomps....bit pricey though :meh:

20. from memory i think they were about $250-$300us