Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now that I've found this site, I realize I know nothing....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 3, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    A lot of you guys know so much about the bass, stuff I never new existed. Six string basses, active pick ups, harmonics, music theory, Jaco, Wooten, P bass, Jazz Bass, aaaaaaarghhhh.... I feel so lame. Here are my top five questions....

1) Who are Jaco and Wooten?

2) What is a P Bass and a Jazz Bass?

3) What are harmonics?

4) What's the difference between high action and low action as far as the advantages in playing?

5) Why does rock music have bass players if they're gonna have him so low you can't here it? :confused:

(This may be the wrong section, forgive me...)

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Use the search function and you'll have the answers quicker than waiting here for someone to answer this thread (most will just tell you to seach).

BTW, welcome to TB!

:)

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Also, don't forget to fill out your profile!

:)

4. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i wont tell u to search :)

1) Who are Jaco and Wooten? they are very populer and talented bass players...

2) What is a P Bass and a Jazz Bass?

P stands for "Percission" and J stands for "Jazz" but that doesnt mean its used ONLY for jazz... i remember seeing jason newsted(of metallica) playing J-basses alot..

its 2 different kinds of basses that are named by the pick ups they have.. follow these two link to see the difference..

P-bass

j-bass

3) What are harmonics? cant really answer this question as well as anybody else could but i think the full name is "pitch" or "pinch" harmonics... and what u do is put ur finger on the string ontop of a fret but dont push down.. pick the string and release ur fingre instantly and the note will ring instead of hum..

4) What's the difference between high action and low action as far as the advantages in playing? u should try and play in low action.. action refers to the hight of the strings from teh fretboard... high action is rally hard to play but whats bad about low action is that if ur bass isnt contructed as wll at it could be u might get some fret buzz

5) Why does rock music have bass players if they're gonna have him so low you can't here it? if ur listening to rock music with slow bass that u cant hear then ur listening to the wrong rock music lol try listening to some chilli peppers or tool or something
    but sometimes its not what u hear, its what you feel... ever been to a concert and felt the floor earthquake... thats not the crowd jumping.. thats the bass baby :)

5. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    1) two bass heroes, Pastorius already gone(R.I.P.) ex member of Weather
    Report.
    Victor Wooten, member of Bela Fleck and the Flecktone, solo
    artist.
    Refer to google and you'll get lots of info.

2) Pbass and Jazzbass are two Leo Fender inventions, differ in
    tone and playability.
    Matter of taste. Also refer to google- pictures

3) Patorius often played using harmonics generated by just
    touching
    the string ever so lightly without pressing it down to not
    make contact with the fret.

4) High action allows for digging deeper resulting in a more
    ''brutal'' sound, playbility not as easy as with low action,
    requires a lighter touch.

5) You notice the bass when it is missing. According to Abe
    Laboriel the bassist builds the house the others musicians live
    in.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, searches will provide the most illumination, because nobody is going to give you the full details of most of your questions in one post.

Welcome to Talkbass, de la mocha:cool:. This forum is for Basses. Since you have a lot of topics in your post, I am moving the thread to our Miscellaneous forum.

And don't sweat your lack of knowledge on these topics. We all started out not knowing these things, too. Some of us still don't!:D

This is the best place on the net for pure information related to Basses, other gear, Bassists, and all topics related to these things.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Actully, the P- bass or Precision bass was named because it had frets that helped the player to play the note with precision instead of hitting it flat or sharp.

8. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    see that de la mocha? im still learning :)

9. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Thanks everyone! The links are especially helpful! :)