Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now that's a Double Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by Steve Bassman, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Steve Bassman

Steve Bassman Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
  2. ....can you do that? Modified inside so you can put the soundpost somewhere? I'm rather new with DB's so I don't really know. Looks interesting though, thanks for posting.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That'd certainly be quite the effort to play...also, did anyone else notice the location? "Sunny Manitoba?" Sunny? Yeah, alright.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Could play it on one of those dualing piano bars. Oh yeah, I can see it all coming together now.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Somehow it seems strangely erotic.

6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Reminds me of that "lovers' toilet" skit on SNL from years back...

7. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Can you imagine the string combo discussion threads for this instrument?

"well, I use a E and A mettiel, a D Dominant and a G OLIV on the male side, but I'm thinking of trying Compas 180s on the female side, but I was wondering if the tension would be imbalanced with a LaBella G on one side and...."

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Ah, but you wouldn't need to find the Holy Grail of strings that does both pizz and arco. Now just need to find two sets of strings.

9. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Excellent point! You could just spin it around when you pulled the bow out. I think this idea has legs.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I wonder just how small a car I could get it into?

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hummer sounds about right.

12. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Or 2 Cooper Mini's fused together.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    A Mini Cooper stretch limo. I haven't seen one of those yet. I saw a civic stretched out in Dallas a few years back.

14. I could just imagine trying to keep that thing in tune on an outside stage in the middle of July with the sun beating down on it...

15. rprowse

rprowse

Dec 17, 2005
    Wellington NZ
    Can you lean it into a wall?

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I see they have it up on bricks - presumably the couple couldn't agree on how long the endpin should be - they must have been married!! ;)

17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I would think Rabbath's method and an egg-pin would be kinda strange on a bass like that. :p

18. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

I saw a guitar from Breedlove that was built like this, 12-string on one side, flip it over and it's a sixer. The guy playing it looked thrilled that he'd only have to bring one guitar to gigs if he bought the thing.

19. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Before breakfast we get the amount of sun Ontario gets. Except for this freakish winter, where it's way too warm because of the clouds that won't go away.

Seriously, if we had your latitude to go along with our sunshine, we'd be making the wine, not you guys!

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Dude, freakish winter indeed. We're going to pay for it in March, though...best keep those carved basses wrapped in blankets, 'cause we're gonna freeze our, uh, "Canucks" right off.