1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Now that's a heavy Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by aproud1, Oct 2, 2018.

1. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Doing some work to my Ibanez Grooveline 5 string and pulled the bridge to run a new ground wire. Figured I'd weigh it for kicks. Knew it was heavy but 1 lbs 4.8 oz???

It's a beast

30118683637_a28a0960ba_c.jpg

2. Wow

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I thought the Schaller 3D was heavy; it's less than half of that.

4. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I guessed just under a pound. It does make the bass balance perfectly.

5. bimple

bimple

Nov 16, 2017
    ridiculousness

6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ibanez seems to have a thing for bigass bridges. Here’s their Jet King bridge.
    I didn’t weigh it so i don’t have an exact figure but’s easy twice the weight of say a stock Fender MIM bent plate. I just wish i’d have paid attention to all the scratches in that acre of bridge plate when i got the thing. It was filthy and all the shiny stuff was hazy as heck. When i cleaned it up it was scratched pretty bad. I’m trying to decide if i want to buff it or just let it go.

835D8353-6170-4091-BCE6-B6AD7AA00555.jpeg

aproud1 likes this.
  7. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Those are cool basses. Came close to buying one a few times but never did for some reason.

I would leave it as is. A little wear looks okay and is probably not noticeable from afar.

fhm555 likes this.
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If it looked anything close to normal wear i’d just let it slide but somewhere in the past someone took it off and tried to clean it and it looks like they went at it with a wire cup on an angle grinder just long enough to realize they were gouging up the chrome rather than just cleaning it. None of it’s deep enough it couldn’t be buffed out but i’ve been trying to decide what to do with the thing and selling is an option. The job i got it for is over and i’m not using it any more so i’v been thinking about turning it into a swamp machine with some Supro gold foil pickups and some kind of onboard preamp and a slew of switches. As part of the conversion the bridge plate and pickguards would be replaced with some 2mm carbon fiber sheet i’ve got, and most likely strip the body down to the bare mahogany and put some satin red lacquer on it followed by a thin coat of satin black lacquer, and finish it off with the bridge block, machine heads, neck and jack plates all Cerakoted in a parkerized finish and replacing all the hardware with black oxided Allen head fasteners. I could make the CF parts out of either a medium blue, a dark red, or gloss black.
    Or i could just put it up for sale and be done with it.

9. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Mod it! Sounds pretty sweet.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020