Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now that's blonde

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by FunkySpoo, May 21, 2003.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  2. Blonde? Hell, the thing's practically albino!

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I especially like the asymmetrical scroll...

Did you get one yet Rick ?

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Working on it. I have my eye on this one.
    [​IMG]

5. Rick,
    Just like alot of blondes I've seen, the closer you get, the uglier.

6. I see now that appreciation of a Natural Blonde finish CAN go too far... WAY too far!

Pics of the back give real meaning to the term "plywood bass".

The last time I saw wood like that, it was just about to have tar paper stapled to it.

8. What really makes these "blond" instrument look so bad is the absence of purfling or even painted purfling stripes. I would venture to say that no one would even notice the "too blond" appearance if there were purfling of some sorts. If all of the folks that want to strip their Engelhardts would look at these pictures before they start their refinishing, the end results might be a lot better.

9. Comment noted and entered, Mr. Branstetter.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My Engelhardt is an ES9. Blond and I like it just fine. It remains complete with the plasti-cote clearcoat finish and the Faux-purfling.

I also think the ebony fittings add a bit of interest. The "blond" fingerboard on that bass is not very attractive, IMO.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but is this idea of removing the heavy polycoat from new Engelhardts to open them up have any evidence of success or is it simply hypothesis?

Chas

11. Someone posted (Samuel, I think) that jazz bassist Steve Gilmore (who's been bassist with Phil Woods for --- EVER) makes a hobby out of stripping down old plywood basses for the purpose of opening up their sound. I'm thinking Steve must be having some success if he continues to do it.

I'm going to start my own Engelhardt rehab soon. I'll let you know my own findings.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    For me, I would probably have to think the results of stripping would be pretty impressive, as the decoupage top has already been gouged with a fiddle bow, slammed into a mic stand, rammed with a banjo neck and countless other assaults and it is none the worse for it.

I would think a raw top would have suffered a bit more.

My complaint is more on the neck. The poly gets very sticky when playing outside on a humid day.

Chas

13. I'm surprised you haven't yet sanded the neck and re-finished with Danish Oil, Waterlox, Tru-Oil, etc.

That's a pretty common modification to Engelhardt, Strunal, etc. that include a gloss finish on the neck.

14. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    How come all these bass factories do not learn and start to ship instruments without varnish on the neck ? What would they loose ?

15. I think it's a manufacturing thing. They spray the finish on these basses, and it's probably easier to spray the whole bass at once.

Engelhardt said recently that they were looking for a way to mask their fingerboards, so they could quit spraying THOSE with finish, which is another bad idea.

They're looking for a tape that won't get eaten by the finish, and can still be gotten off without leaving adhesive behind.

Personally, I think it would be a better idea just to shield the whole neck & FB, and not spray either one of them in the first place, but then they'd have to spend extra labor $$$ doing a wipe-on finish and letting it dry. Plus, they're already set up to do it however they're already doing it. Changing things like that isn't a minor decision, either.

When Rockabilly players start bouncing those strings off the fingerboards, it doesn't take too long for Engelhardt's sprayed-on fingerboard finish to start flaking off.

16. It's all about time and time is money. In the days when Englehardt used lacquer instead of poly, they did not spray the fingerboards and I'm pretty sure they did not spray the neck either. There are several ways to accomplish this. Some shops prefer to lightly glue on the fingerboard during manufacture process and then take them off for the finishing process. After finishing, the fingerboard is reattached permanently. That way, they can finish the area of the top under the fingerboard to the same quality as the rest of the instrument. The problem with this method is that it also takes time and small companies like Englehardt-Link work on a small profit margin. I would be willing to wager that if you were to call Englehardt-Link and tell them you wanted to buy a hundred basses with the necks and fingerboards unfinished and were willing to pay extra to get them, they would say yes before you could take your next breath.