1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Now, The neighbors LOVE us!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by skychief, May 23, 2011.

1. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    My band uses a garage for rehearsals (cant afford a studio). Got many complaints from the neighbors, police showing up, dogs howling, etc... The keyboard plyr (who owns the house/garage) decided to completely sound-proof the garage. we did a bit of brainstorming and came up with a master plan; we would fabricate a stand-alone sealed structure WITHIN the garage!! We built a large room inside the garage which sits on 4 big rubber pads. theres about 20" of free space surrounding the room to provide access to the interior walls of the garage in case it was needed. Took a coupla weeks to build and has a nice ventilation system ( a/c with inlet & vent). It is 100% effective. The band can be playing full tilt in the room, and a person standing directly outside the garage hears only the subdued thumping of the kick drum. At 60 feet, (the neighbors yard), you hear nothing 'cept the birds and crickets! All said and done, the project cost a little over $2k. But we figure we would have spent close to that for a year's worth of rehearsal studio time. Id like to hear from any of you who have tackled a similar problem.

2. That's awesome. What did you use to actually kill the sound?

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I'd love to see pics, thinking of doing something like this in the near future.

4. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    ^^^^ Pics!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We need photos.

-Mike

6. CpTCrunch

CpTCrunch

May 11, 2011
    Earth Mostly.
    Yes photos of this would be great!

7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    That is great. [Applause meter just hit 98%]

The idea of not caring what the neigbors 'think' can get us in trouble, sooner or later. Not sure I want to go there!

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Someone on this forum did this a few years ago or was planning to do so. Good to know it works!

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    music related.

Moved to Miscellaneous.

10. I want pics!
    That is incredibly awesome. When I read the "master plan" part, I thought "good luck with that!" Glad to hear it's a success.

11. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    stapled some fiberglass batting on the outside of the drywall sheets, thats about it. I think its the air gap between the outer wall of the room and the inner wall of the garage that really kills the sound. That and raising the whole room on the pads.