Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now this is crazy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tubster, Aug 25, 2004.

1. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I am advertising a bunch of stuff for sale on "gear for sale" (no, this is not to promote it) and I am amazed at the response so far!

Just about everyone wants to know about the G&L's - not a flicker of interest in the rest!! What is happening.....a couple of years ago G&L's sat unloved on dealers' walls and attracted almost no attention and low prices on the Bay, couldn't give 'em away, wot's up??? Is this fashion or has the Bass Community suddenly figured out that these are the best kept secret in bassdom?

Anyway, I am keeping 2 basses............you guessed it...a G&L L-2000 (and a ' 63 P)

Why the sudden interest in G&L - have "Tributes" anything to do with this surge of enthusiasm?

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I've been playing for just over a year and a half and I'm amazed no one suggested them to me when I was looking to upgrade early this year. I settled for a US Jazz...It even had a set of ultra j's yet I just never got the Eric Wilson-esque grind that I had in my head. I just recently sold it for a G&L & I'm sure the L-2000's gonna make me a happy young man.

Anyone with a mint L-2000 black, honey(not burst) or blueburst with a # 6 maple fretboard neck (birdseye or not) please let me know, I got a grand to give up and I'll pick it up off ya right away.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not for me. They happen to be one of, if not the only manufacturer, making a 4 banger neck that's 1.75" at the nut. Anything less than than that is too narrow for me. A regular P bass at 1.625" (1. 5/8ths) is "slim" for me. Jazz necks are out of the question.

Plus, they resell for crap, which is good for the poo' college students around the country (i.e. me). I've an '86 SB-1 I got for $425 with a HSC thanks to TBer Spiritfield, and I couldn't be happier.

So, it's pretty much G&L and Epiphone Thunderbirds that make wide necked 4 bangers, and G&Ls are all hand made and include all the features I'd include on a custom bass. In essence, they are my dream basses. Ibanez ATK's are also that wide, but I find the body too large for my liking. The G&Ls (the SBs in particular) have a slightly downsized body I prefer, so there you are.

That's where my interest comes from. Dunno about the rest of you.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I think the Tributes definitely have something to do with it. The easily affordable, high quality, and highly ACCESSIBLE nature of the G&L Tributes brought a spotlight on them, and by association, the California-made ones that didn't really have the exposure they needed or deserved. I'm a big G&L fan, and wouldn't know a thing about them if it weren't for the Tributes.

5. I bought my G&L off eBay not too long ago, after lusting after them for a couple years. I've been recommending heavily on the board that I've been on for quite a while (even converted a few!) But I came out with a sexy ASAT with an oigional Kahler tremolo on it, and I dont ever see myself getting rid of it.

joe

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    How much did you get it for again? I was going to order a l2000 w/oil tint birdseye & black body for $1245 locally. I really want an ash body so I was thinking about blueburst with wood binding/no neck tint, although I think black w/binding would look equally as killer just like the Aerodyne's....MAN I CAN'T DECIDE! That's why I want to just steal one off ebay so I have the choosing done for me already and save some bucks. Look at it, cant beat it :eek:
    [​IMG]

7. I bought it for $811 after shipping. (lucky me :bassist: ) The L-2000 you posted though does look super sexy. I'd love to have a semi-hollow ASAT, black with white binding, a birdseye neck with gunoil tint.

Here's a few pictures of it though, for your drooling pleasure ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

joe