Now we are 26 -- welcome Don Z

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Ladies and germs, I'd like to announce that Don Zebrauskas has joined in. Check him out on the page as he and partner Wayne Grim do some remote control free stuff.
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I sent most of these comments to Don and he asked me to post them.

Nice tones. I think you get most of the sounds that can be gotten out of the double bass without hitting anything (and I can live well without that).

There's not much tempo variation in your part. There's also a whole realm of zippidy-speedy shtuff, often accurately referred-to around here as "gestural," which I don't remember hearing although I could be wrong. But that's a comment not a criticism -- you certainly don't have to play "everything" on every tune!

I kept waiting for the guitarist to play more than one note. It takes several minutes.

Knowing that you didn't "work together" colored my listening experience. Knowing, I'd say that it's amazing how many parts of it hang together. If hadn't known, I would have said that I hear some listening going on but (if I were rude) more than a few musical opportunities were missed. The ending certainly suggests some broad areas for development which, understandably under the "circumstances," were not explored.

My personal preference lies with deliberate interaction with other musicians rather than random interaction. But that's me . . . and you know I hope that this project bears fruit for you, Don.
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Thanks for the comments Sam'l. Frankly, I do not expect much to come from this. It is very hard to digest even for me. it was very difficult to record. As I was setting up in the studio I kept thinking to myself" what is my role here ?" Should I be the "bass player?" Should I treat it like a lot of AG music and just play like a fool or should i try to be somewhere in the middle ? The end result is that I just started playing without really having a definite goal.

My preference also is deliberate interaction but i still couldn't resist the temptation to try this. It is what it is.

So far, no one likes it and that is generally what i expected. When i sent the link to Damon i had not even listened to it myself.
  4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I listened to it and did not dislike it at all, Don.

It's not the cup of tea I choose for myself. I like a somewhat familiar story and some traditional story-telling.

I listened to the complete track and was interested in some of the sounds you were making. I do stuff like that in the practice room (on purpose, really!), just letting things drift and playing with the sound. It's exploratory work for me.

I also was struck by how story-like the track is at times. It almost hangs as collaborative now and then.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have to say i was pleasantly surprised at the places where a convergence seemed to take place.
  6. One could draw many parallels to life, and the way we experience it, that's why I said it's existential. It's been kinda fun to think about.