1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Now what? Gig in park. (EA content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kirk P Brosius, Jun 11, 2007.

1. I'm playing in the local Civic Park with my regular Blues Duo, on Thursday, and I need some advice. I will be supporting a loud guitar player/vocalist and harp player/vocalist with no FOH support and here's my dilema.

I play a Ken Smith 5 into an iAmp 800 with a new EA NL210 and I like the sound and versitality of this combo. I feel that I need a bit more "oomph" to fill the park with creamy low-end for these guys!

I also have an Eden 210XLT (8ohm), Schroe 1210 (4ohm) amd Mini 12+ (4ohm) hanging out in the garage.

I used the Schroe pair outdoors about a year ago with good results but really like the sound of the NL. I won't have the ability to test any combination of these cabs prior to the gig so, I need help.

I'm open to any and all suggestions or input you may have.

Thanks for taking a look.

Regards, Kirk

2. Drag it all into your back yard/deck/patio. Does the 800 do 2 ohms? I'm thinkin' xlt & Shroe 1210. You're gonna be askin' a lot from these cabs in any config outdoors. I know it doesn't help but if you were in TN I'd let you use my Acoustic 301. Outdoors is about the only place I can use that monster. Bar bottles on shelves don't play well with 301's!

3. Hey INTUNE,

Thanks for the response. I tried the cabs in the garage and HATED all of the combinations!! It may have been all of those mountain bikes and closed fiberglass door that goosed up the mids so outside is a good plan.

Your "MYSPACE" is pretty funny, cool tunes, too.

Later, Kirk

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm sorry, but a 210 WON'T FILL A PARK. you'll probably need some 410s or a couple of 115's AT LEAST!!!

sorry, please don't shoot the messenger.

if you don't believe me just hook up your 210 and a 50' cable to your guitar and hear for yourself! :bag:

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    EA nl-210 = 8 ohms
    Eden 210xlt = 8 ohms
    Schroeder 1210 = 4 ohms

All those in parallel = 2 ohms which the IAMP will do .

Take it all. You will most likely need to fiddle with the EQ to get it sounding decent since that is some extremely different sounding cabs. Worst comes to worst, you unplug a cab that I bugging you. If it was me, I'd just suck it up, admit that I won't have the greatest tone, and settle for being heard over world class tone. The greatest tone in the world amounts to naught if it is buried in the mix.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    kirk, sorry about my first "knee jerk" response, but I was responding to your "creamy low-end" desire.

even with your 210 you will probably be heard, but after about 15' the lows will be gone, sorry just my experience.

nowadays I don't really worry about the audience. if it sounds good on stage its good enough for me!

I CAN'T HAUL AROUND A "PA" ALL THE TIME!!! :rollno:

7. Hey all,

Thanks for the replies.

Keal; you are correct, each of these cabs has a very distnct tone and something wonderful could come out of using all three.

Mcrelly; I wish that I could lay my hands on a 15" cab and let 'er rip!

I'll post my experience in a day or two.

Later, Kirk

8. It all went very well!

I rolled my rig in from stage-left and found that the guitar player hadn't brought his little (1x12, 40 watt, sum kina Fender) amp and was planning to play direct through the PA.
    UH-OOH!!! 400 watts, mains with 1x15 + horn with four monitors spells trouble in my book of live performance!!

All worked out really great, to my surprise!!!

I had taken my amp along with the NL210 and Schroeder 1210R and placed the Schroe as Jorg designed it with the NL on top, as it was designed, and the blend of the two sat very well in the mix. The guitar wasn't overly loud but quite full, the harp was right-in-your-face (as it should be) and the two guest guitar players played very well with space as well as notes (as they should) and the two hour set turned out to be quite a treat to the audience as well as the players.

What more can you ask for?

Later, Kirk

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021