1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Now where should I go ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sandvich Hero, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hello OT dwellers,

Long story short, my life recently went down the drain and I want to take a little time off by myself to re-energize, think a little and see something else. I want to take a 4-5 days holiday, probably sometime in may, and go somewhere, me alone.

What I am looking for is suggestions as to where to go and what to do, since it seems there are many TBers from the north-east. I want to keep it to 6-8 hours drive from Montreal, so Canada and N-E US destinations are welcome. If there is an interesting music festival somewhere and around that time frame, I may well be interested. I also am a somewhat fit guy who likes outdoor stuff, am used to hiking in the Appalachians, but sure don`t want to spend all that time climbing mountains or biking alone either (just a bonus). I need to see some city life also, meet random people, just ... do something.

So now is the time to boast your own little corner and convince me to go there :p

I am listening (and will be researching) your suggestions, and just to answer some future questions already, I am 25, have my own car (station wagon so I can fit my bike IN it), have everything needed to travel to the US (passport, etc) and I can certainly spend a couple hundred $ for this little trip (not an enormous budget but not sleeping-in-a-back-alley either).

Any destination suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks.

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    South shore of Lake Superior. Go from Duluth, Minnesota to Ashland, Wisconsin by way of the Bayfield peninsula and Madeline Island (follow highway 13).

Great combination of spectacular natural beauty (lakes and streams, waterfalls, wildlife) with modern town and city life (Duluth is a gorgeous city). A great many bike trails and places to eat and stay. The prices are generally very reasonable for food, lodging, items, etc.. The weather in May will be very pleasant. Perfect for hiking and biking (but not swimming unless you wear a wetsuit. :D )

http://www.superiortrails.com/index.html

3. Vermont. Burlington is a nice, small city. Stowe is nearby for your outdoor activities. The whole area is beautiful.
    As an added bonus, as a TBer, you are probably a bacon fan. While in Burlington, go to Dakin Farms and get some of their bacon. It's some of the best I've ever had.

4. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I say head to a national park and rent/bring a tent. Nothing like running into nature to recharge yourself. Bring some wine climb a mountain and relax and enjoy the view. That's always what works for me at least.

Sorry I can't give any specifics but I'm not too terribly familiar with the area.

5. So ...

Duluth --> Ashland really seems, as you say, a nice blend between cities and nature. I will most certainly consider it in my final choice ! Maybe a bit far from here, but if I think it`s worth it, I can certainly tailor my plans around that.

The Burlington area also seems nice. They will REALLY have to impress me with their bacon though :p

A big Thanks to the 3 of you for your suggestions.

And just to clarify, while the "alone in the forest" might be the usual prescription for that, I think I have done it past my share recently. Since my "friends" (quotes added because status reconsidered ...) weren't much interested in that, I found myself almost always going there alone (I've done Marcy, Algonquin, and all those mountains multiple times alone) pretty much every time. So while I surely would enjoy a day or 2 of hiking, I don`t want all my trip to be just that.

What about Boston (Bawston should I say) ? I went there once for work so I couldn`t really explore, but it sure did seem a really nice city !

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My wife and I did this recently.....

Drive out to Portland, Maine, take highway 1 down the coast and then over to Boston. It's a great drive, but there will be no mountains. You could stop at Rye Airfield and do some dirt track riding though.

We also spent some time in New Hampshire at Mount Sunapee and Mount Washington. We went to this other cool town called Meredith, on the northwest end of Lake Winnipesaukee. Lot's of trails and hills to climb. You'll also be totally by yourself out there in the woods.

-Mike

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Go on the Power Tour, with Hot Rod Magazine