1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Now your stuck with me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stroker, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Stroker

Stroker

Jul 21, 2007
    Conway, AR
    I had my bass on E-bay but it didn't sell so now I guess it's a sign that I need to learn how to play it. Are there any cheep or preferably free sites that will teach me how to play? I guess you need a little back ground. I got my bass a year and a half ago, took lessons for about two months, played and practiced regularly for about a month after that. I was just getting to the point of being able to hear the bass in the music I listened to and a few times was able to repeat what I heard on my bass but not often. After I stopped taking the lessons I kinda got stuck in a rut and wasn't learning anything new. I tried printing some tab but everything I downloaded was just way too hard. About two months ago I picked it back up and was using the book that my instructor had me buy when I was taking the lessons and went through it and worked on some of the stuff in there but i only stuck with it for a few weeks since it was just "mary had a little lamb" and not the good version.

My taste in music is pretty broad, I listen to everything from Slayer to Emenim to Garth Brooks to .... As far as my taste in bass I would have to say Anesthesia by Cliff Burton is the reason I first wanted to learn to play. Next I would have to say is Rose Royce's "Car Wash," I just love that funky stuff.

I put my bass up on E-bay last week and ever since I have been wanting to play it, plus now I have found this site so I have some accountability to keep practicing. So where do I start. Lessons aren't an option till sell some more houses I just don't have the money now. Plus I need to find a different instructor, I just didn't care for what the other one was teaching.

2. im shure thair are but most of the time you get what you pay for

i dont really recomend this because playing bass is nolonger fun but a chore then you dont really want to do it anymore

you could do what i did bought hal lenord bas method book/dvd 1 and tought myself because i couldent afford bass lessons but start saveing up for some im shure some fellow TBers in your aera will give you lessons for pretty cheep if i was in your aera id do it for free

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    BAD advice.
    DON"T Use tabs!

4. Stroker

Stroker

Jul 21, 2007
    Conway, AR
    Thats the book I have but no DVD. I thought about getting "Learn to play the Bass with Metalica" but wasn't sure if it was any good. Any one tried that route? It's not a chore but it's not as fun as it should be since I'm no good. I do know 2 AC/DC songs (OK if I know them I probably know all the AC/DC songs) and one Cream song that I enjoy Jamin with but the family and I are kinda getting sick of them. I need to learn some new stuff but the stuff I try to learn on my own I can't play with the music cause it's too hard for my level. What Might help is a list of easier but fun songs to jam to. And yes if some one close to here wants to teach me i can get the beer.:D

5. Stroker

Stroker

Jul 21, 2007
    Conway, AR
    Thats where I was getting songs that were too hard is from tabcrawler I agree with Mark I need to learn to read music.

6. why i can read both i like sheet muic more but its harder to find and its never free but it is good to learn both its just tabs are eaiser to find and use also it trains your ear to find the beat becaue tabs dont alwys give the length of the note

7. I've seen the learn bass with metallica book. It dosn't look good for a beginner. More of an intermediate type thing just because of the nature of the music. Or, I could be remembering a different book...

8. Stroker

Stroker

Jul 21, 2007
    Conway, AR
    Thats what I was afraid of, my brother got the learn to play guitar with Metalica and I think he had poor results from it, but I know he doesn't play much either.

9. :eyebrow:

+1 on NO tabs.

10. none of you have given me a reson for not learning tabs

11. they are often incorrect, less respected than standard notation, rapidly becoming illegal, don't tell you the note length/rythm, and will hamper your understanding of how music works.

Need I continue?

12. Stroker

Stroker

Jul 21, 2007
    Conway, AR
    I don't see anything wrong with learning tabs but I think one should learn to read music first. It really doesn't matter cause I know how to read tabs, because I know how to read tabs when I get with other musicians who know music then I really don't know my notes so when they say play an "A" I'm lost cause I'm used to a 1 not an "A" so I can't keep up. I wish I had learned music first then maybe it would be ok to use tabs but generaly by then most people don't need tabs because the stuff that has been transposed to tab they could just play by ear.

13. oh

14. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Learning to play by ear is much more important and useful than learning how to read tabs. Tabs really aren't good for anything unless you don't plan on learning anything about music and want to figure out some of your favorite songs...IMO.

15. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Wouldn't A be 0? On the A string?

16. Use tabs to learn songs you already know or simple songs you'd like to know. I wouldn't suggest learning to read if you don't want to and don't see a reason to read music in the future.

Tabs are more accessable than sheet music, but aren't as descriptive. And you can never sight read them. But if all you want to know are how to play a couple of licks, go right ahead. If you're in music for the long haul, reading skill is good to have, but not necessary, especially if you write your own stuff.

A lot of musicians see tabs as a quickie way to gain false skill. It's also said that you notice a lot of note relationships on sheets when you write, but I personally see that on the fretboard. But just do what you feel like doing, only you know what's best for you. I think tabs are perfectly reasonable for a beginner. To learn as fast from sheet music as you do from tabs means being very well-versed in reading and general music knowledge, but if you just plan on playing casually, then learning to sight read will be positively archaic. A lot of the good bass players out there can't read music, and making good music comes from your own creativity, not from deep knowledge of theory. The best starting experience you can get is to play different songs from your favorite artists and learn concepts by picking them apart, and if that means using tabs to get the parts down, go right ahead.

I'm not a fan of the negative attitude about tabs, if you can tell. ;)

But DO learn the fretboard. Even if it's by rote memorization, learn where the As are, the Bs, the Cs, etc. It'll save your hienie when you jam with other people.

17. Stroker

Stroker

Jul 21, 2007
    Conway, AR
    Not on the E string (I think?)

18. +1000000000000000000000000000000000

19. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    A is the 5th fret on the E string, bud.