Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Now's the time to try Elixirs...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eli, Feb 23, 2001.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If you have been reading the Elixir threads and would like to try them out, now is the time. Through the end of February, Guitar Center is selling a new version -- Nanoweb (as opposed to the existing Polyweb) -- for $20 for 4-string, $30 for 5-string sets. That's like half of what they'll cost after the sale is over.

The difference is that on the new Nanoweb style, the coating is pretty much the exact shape of the string, windings and all, kind of like they dipped the string in a liquid vat of the stuff. The old Polyweb style was more of a "sleeve" pulled over the string. The Nanoweb coating is also 1/3 of the thickness of the original Polyweb style. The Polyweb is still being sold.

Not that I'm any huge fan of GC, but hey -- a sale is a sale.

-------------------------
    update
    -------------------------

For the poor underappreciated 6-stringers: I just called Gore Music (the mfr of Elixirs), and they do NOT yet have 6-string sets or even the single high C string available. Eventually, but not now. Bummer. I am considering using a Polyweb string...

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I use the "good ole fashioned" Elixirs and they are great. In fact I just bought two 5-string sets at Sam Ash for $25 each...they were in the bargain bin...I guess they weren't aware that both types will continue to be sold. I'm curious however as to the longetivity of the nanoweb coated strings. Since they are purported to be 30% of the gore thickness (to add brightness), will they hold up as well as the gore coated ones? Also, I'm not a fan of bright strings, and the "old" Elixirs are right for me.

3. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Huh. My Sam Ash still wants $56 a set... your user name appears to be appropriate.

4. I just got given a 5 string Nano set to evaluate for the company I work for. I put them on my six, leaving the Slowound C on. At my gig last night, I did one set and pulled 'em off, and put the Slowounds back on, so I would have a good comparison. The Slowounds are staying! The Nano's sound like D'Addario XL's, which is OK, but I really found the slipperiness of them was a bit disconcerting. Also, the B does'nt have quite the pitch and focus of the Slowound. I'm not putting them back on, so wont be able to comment on their longevity.

5. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    MF --

Had you ever tried Polywebs before?

6. Eli.....no I have'nt. Well, I've tried a set of Poly's on a Taylor acoustic bass, and they seemed to be not so slippery, but I dont know if they are electric strings or acoustic. I think they may be Phosphor-bronze, so it may not be a fair comparison.

7. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    OK. I put the Nanowebs on my fretless today. Haven't played a gig but my first impressions are that they sound a bit more springy than my Polywebs. Now, i have to admit that the Polyweb set is the first set I got from Gore in June of 1999 (yes, over a year and a half ago). I did have to use a new Polyweb high C and it does sound the slightest shade darker than the Nanowebs. I think this will make the general market very happy but I'm not a big fan of the "boinky" tone that the more aggressive styles seem to prefer.

I'll leave 'em on for my next rehearsal coming up Tuesday and will file a report thereafter.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I am trying some new nanowebs out on my Jazz right now, this is my first Elixir purchase. These were on sale for $19.99 at GC.

I don't like them and they are coming off soon. I don't think it's the fault of the strings themselves, they seem fine. It's just that my preference is for stainless roundwounds, and I was taking a chance on these because that's the cheapest I ever saw them. Just wanted to try them out.

Nickel strings seem dead to me by comparison, but these are decent as far as nickel goes. I would compare them to D'Addarios, which is probably what they are anyway. Gore just coats them, I don't think they wind them.

I have always used Rotosound RS66LD's, but I think I'll give the DR high beams a try and see how I like them. As far as the Elixirs, oh well, live and learn...

9. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I can't wait until they have 7 string sets!!!

I tried buying the 5 string set and using two elixir guitar strings as the top strings on my 7, but the strings werent long enough.

Maybe they will come out with a 7...

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'd be happy if ANYBODY other than Markley would start putting out 7 sets!

11. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Yes I believe the Polywebs are D'Addario XLs (nickle). I've grown to really like the slippery feel, I think it helps me (poor technique and all) to play a little bit faster without "stumbling". Won't keep me from trying lots of other strings though. I play my jazz very little, sticking mainly with P-basses, so I really am not interested in that real bright sound (for now). I've gone back and forth with flats and rounds. For now I'm sticking with the polyweb Elixirs on P-bass. Just enough cut, not too bright.

Regarding the "greater than 4-string set" of Elixers--- I tried a 5 string set ONCE. Had them on my Sadowsky (replaced the Labella Hard Rockin Steels). Took them off after one day. They seemed to take all the life out of my Sadowsky, and the B was...well....dead-sounding.

12. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Well, here's the proof that YMMV.

I played the new Nanowebs on my fretless at a rehearsal, and they are too "springy" sounding for me. Lots of 2000hz, which is not what I do on fretless. I tend to boost 800-1000Hz and cut everything abov 3000, so a 2k peak just isn't for me.

I think I'm going back to the Polywebs for my fretless. I may put these Nanowebs on my fretted, though -- the songs I use that on are usually the more hardrockin' tunes that would benefit from the more metallic sound of the Nanowebs. I'll keep posting.

13. Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Well, I'm happy with them on my passive Precisions, and my Precision Elite II. On my Jazz's I'm now leaning more towards flats, D'Addario Chromes. I've tried the TI's on every bass i own, and while I initially was impressed, I now really do not like the low tension. The Elixirs to me are good for P-bass punch, and not too bright.

As far as pricing, I was lucky to find several sets in the local Sam Ash "bargain bin"...was able to get 2 five-string sets (although I don't use them on a five) for $25 each. I later went to my local GC (who wouldn't budge any lower than $35/set) with my Sam Ash receipt and said, OK since you wouldn't sell me the sets for $30 when I asked you nicely, here is my Sam Ash receipt. Please give me 2 sets of 5's for $25 each. They P'd and moaned and exclaimed that they didn't know how anyone could sell them that cheaply. I smugly walked out with my 2 additional sets.

14. Kidd_Twist

Kidd_Twist

Nov 25, 2000
    I to bought some elixers from GC, and I to noticed they are a little brite. But I love the slick feel of the new nanowebbing! It reduces the drag when I play fast punk songs, and when I want a heavy rock sound I can just take the brightness out with the EQ on my amp.

15. Does anyone know if Elixirs have different tension than most other strings? I just put a set of the new Nanowebs on my Jazz bass, and now I'm getting some nasty buzzing/rattling on the E string, mostly on frets 1-8. The open string sounds OK. I loosened the rod a bit and raised the bridge saddle slightly, neither of which seemed to help right off the bat.

16. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    To me the Nanowebs seem similar to D'Addario XL lights. They aren't real heavy, if that's what your bass (and your fingers) are used to.

And by the way: I played an actual GIG with the Nanowebs on my fretless (too lazy to change 'em) and it turns out I really like them now. Perhaps the metallic edge is gone after having been on the bass for two weeks; more likely my preference is due to the fact that the band was playing at volume and things sound different in the mix. I'm glad to have the "sproing" available. My solo tone was makin' me pretty happy after I pulled the 3k down to -9 dB (otherwise known as a sproingectomy).

17. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I still have the Poly evaluation set on my 77 Jazz from last year and I like them. I put the Nano Evaluation set on my 74 Jazz and the coating is already comming off after 2 months and they just don't sound like the older version. I'll still go with the Ernieballs and the D,Addario's for the price and availibility.