1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NP(C?)D* - Guitar Wing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, May 10, 2015.

1. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    So! I've mentioned this in the Breeder and What's Coming and Going Threads a few times, perhaps to the annoyance of a few. After some hijinks, I picked one up used on Reverb. I finally got in on Friday, and had a chance to play with it Friday/Saturday and then use it live this morning (albeit on guitar, not bass).

My MIDI chain is Guitar Wing --> iPad (via Bluetooth) using MIDI Designer --> Zivix PUC (via WiFi) --> board (gets complicated from there with some splitting/merging/loops). To update the Wing firmware I had to use the USB-MIDI Bluetooth dongle, but after that the Wing will connect directly to a laptop or iPad via Bluetooth (using the Audio MIDI Setup/MIDI studio on my Mac laptop and the MIDI LE app on my iPad).

I set everything up to work in MIDI Designer, and I can use MIDI Designer to change most of the button behavior since they are all subcontrols. Put another way, I basically created a virtual Guitar Wing in MIDI, and I can do the reassigning from there. (There are a few things for which I will need to use the regular Guitar Wing editor if I want to, like changing from momentary to toggle, but if I want to change the patch assignment of a button, for example, I can do that with the subcontrols in MIDI Designer.)

Live use was actually pretty slick. It was surprisingly easy to tap my delay on/off between verse and chorus, and considering I also am changing between clean and dirty with my foot, it was kind of necessary to do it that way.

Also, I know some people don't like the look, but my guitar looked like a spaceship. That was pretty cool.

Another awesome thing is that I actually have somewhat suppressed my Reflex GAS because it gives me three MIDI expression controllers which are fun to use (I'll still get the Reflex).

One drawback is that pressure/grip mechanism for connecting it is a little bulkier than I anticipated. The other biggest drawback is that while the Guitar Wing connection on its own is pretty straight forward, it's kind of a hassle to add one more step to my setup.

So TL;DR I actually like it a lot. Using your hands instead of your feet for this kind of stuff won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it works really well for what it is (it's a lot better and more intuitive than reaching over to your iPad, that's for sure).

*New Pedal (Controller?) Day

jasonmitsch likes this.
  2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Ok Picts? Sound clips? I need to see this thing in action.

3. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I don't think this is what you mean, but just to be clear, I'm not using Wing FX (the FX plug in that is optimized for the Wing), I'm just using it to control my board.

I'll try to post some pics, and it will definitely be involved when I stop being lazy and get around to joining Feedback Friday...

jasonmitsch and nshuman like this.
  4. Pics of it on your guitar and on your bass would be sweet. I am glad it's working out for you. I hope it continues to do so. (As one who regularly wrestles with buyer's remorse!)

Last edited: May 10, 2015
    nshuman likes this.
  5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    And I would really like to see a) what it looks like on your shiz and b) I would like to hear it controlling your board. It seems really cool and I wish I understood it more. A video would be even cooler.

6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I'm going to make a big effort to do something in the next week or two. The semester is finally over so I have some more free time (though a whole new set of responsibilities).

7. +1 from the peanut gallery for an Adamixoye full field report.

Would love to hear and see how you're using this bit of kit – vid submission to the next Feedback Friday would be a good avenue.

Good initial review Adam.

8. Awesome to hear that you like it man. I know I've called it ugly before, but I think my bias was based upon the basses I own. My Warwicks have a natural stain and I think the look would clash. If I was rocking a Bongo Stealth the Wing would look slick.

For as much as you hype and endorse the gear you love and use, you definitely should be making FF tracks. Even if it's a camera phone vid. We want to hear the goodies!

9. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    That's fair. My main Ibanez guitar is kind of a charcoal color and my main bass is a black StingRay 5, so I think it would go with those. It probably would clash with wood (like my Hohner B Bass VI).

It's kind of me being a perfectionist that has kept me from doing it (along with being busy)---unplanned single take stuff scares me! Also, last time I did some serious recording (for the pitchshifting shootout) I also had some unfortunate noise that seemed to be a function of my recording setup.

jasonmitsch likes this.
  10. Noise shmoise?

Adamixoye and nshuman like this.
  11. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Perfectionist schmerfectionist.

nshuman and jasonmitsch like this.
  12. It gets funnier as it gets less funny.

nshuman likes this.
  13. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Here's some photos. The Wing is placed pretty sloppily on my guitar in the second photo.

16899561573_554e84c0d7_c.

16897310464_c687fed95d_c.

jasonmitsch likes this.
  14. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp

I'm sorry Adam. I am fixating on the fire hazard on the wall to the right of what you are trying to show us :)

15. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Ha, I kind of forgot about that. I was experimenting with something and I had my reasons? Very little is actually plugged into it.

nshuman likes this.
  16. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
  17. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp

All kidding aside, it does look cool on the bass. You really need to do a Feedback Friday post with it controlling your effects.

Adamixoye likes this.
  18. While I dig the wireless MIDI control on my guitar thing... I'm just not liking the Guitar Wing design. IMHO, it looks like a cheap video game toy control.

Sorry for being so superficial :unsure:

94b05e6d4c8c04333451729a6926892e_large.

19. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    It looks futuristic (I guess) and that won't be for everyone. You can customize the colors of the lights (note my pictures above vs. this picture), even have the light completely off if that helps. Like I said above, I agree it works a lot better for my solid-color, neutral-dark colored guitars than it would for wood-based guitars.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  20. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Cyborg Chic