NPAD (new power amp day)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Carr, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Just got done testing a brand new Crest Prolite 3.0

Signal chain was passive Fender CS Jazz -> Aguilar Tonehammer pedal -> fDeck HPF ver. 3 -> Prolite 3.0 in full range bridged mode -> fEARful 15/6/1 + 15/1/6.

Finally free of clipping! It was loud, low, and clean. Gigs and rehearsals this weekend.

That is all. :cool:

2. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    Killer rig!

10cc, pacojas and Jim Carr like this.
  3. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Ear plugs. Two in each ear.

lomo, mbelue, Fun Size Nick and 3 others like this.
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yep! Been wearing ear protection since 1966 when playing or listening to live amplified music (or working in a textile mill!).

While it may seem like a lot, I have need for such a rig as I am often not in the PA, especially for reggae and gospel performances.

Even in bridged mode, the amp is "only" ~3000 watts at 4 ohms (which is for attack transients, not RMS). Even so, 3000 watts @ 4 ohms is only twice as loud (theoretically) as 300 watts @ 4 ohms. I would guess the "continuous/RMSish" power to be about 800 watts per channel at 4 ohms with about 0.10% THD. :cool:

Its really more like two Mesa M9 Carbines. Too much is just enough.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  5. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    The fEARful truth :laugh:

6. This may be my ignorance showing, but what is the difference between a 15/6/1 and a 15/1/6?

In other news, I ran a TH --> fdeck --> Crown XLS1500 --> Mesa 2x12 and it was a great rig. I still have it, but it's my backup rig now.

Jim Carr likes this.
  7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Good question! They are both 15/6/1 fEARfuls, but the baffles are mirror images. If you invert one cab and sit it on top of the other, the two 6" mid drivers are in a vertical array, as are the two 1" HF drivers. The basic reason for this is that you get better dispersion and less phase discrepancy in the midrange and highs with arrays—in theory. :D

Fielding likes this.
  8. I figured it might be something like that. I've got a fearful 15/6 tube that is in progress. All it lacks is the 6. When I get it done, I'm saving to get a mirror of it done.

I like your style.

Jim Carr likes this.
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Thanks! I'll be interested to see how you like it with your super bassman 300.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Fielding likes this.
  10. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have recently begun using a Crest ProLite 2.0.
    Anyone know the RMS ratings for the ProLites? Haven't seen them anywhere.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Hi Dave—I estimated above (non-scientifically) the RMS power for the Prolite 3.0 to be ~850 per channel at 4 ohms, based on data in the 2.0/3.0 Prolite users manual, which I have attached here. [EDIT: see below, this is probably too low!]

From what I see, the Prolite 2.0 is probably a bit over 500 watts RMS at 4 ohms per channel. Could be wrong...[EDIT: see below]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  12. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hmmm. I was wondering what it is at 4-ohm bridged

13. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, so you're saying I need 3,000 watts...:O

Jim Carr likes this.
  14. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I just received a Prolite 2.0. Power seems consistent with several other amps rated in the same range.

15. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Dave Hill's new rig sounds badtothe************bone! Got to play around on it yesterday and that amp (crest) is nice. But those cabs are the end.
    image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
    Jim Carr likes this.
  16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Maybe. The ~3000 watts @ 4 ohms thing is some kind of weird burst power rating, similar to peak, but with a specific defined duration (20 ms) at 1% THD.

I found that I kept clipping my MB800 or Mesa M9 when running two fEARful 15/6/1 cabs. Running the preamps real low and padding the input didn't help. Tried a bridged Crest CA6 and it was cleaner—but the racked CA6 with a couple of light preamps weighs 73 lbs. A ProLite 3.0 weighs 13.8 lbs and costs ~$380.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I'm guessing ~1100 watts at 4 ohms bridged (Edit: some say 1400+). I've asked Crest for more info. Will post here if and when it comes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  18. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I was certainly surprised when the XLS1502 couldn't keep up with the MB800! Guess they don't rate amps the same...

Do tell where you get the 3.0 for $380!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  19. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Burbank, CA
  20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    BurningSkies likes this.