1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPAD - Sansamp RPM

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P_Biskitt, Jan 10, 2012.

1. New (Pre) Amp Day :smug:

Just got my Sansamp RPM in the mail today. Only had a few brief moments after my son's basketball game to make sure everything worked, and so far, I like it.

I currently have it running into the FX return of my Peavey Pro Bass thru my Ampeg 810E. If I decide to keep it, it will get it's own dedicated power amp. But for testing purposes, the Peavey will do for now.

Both my Precisions need restrung right now, but even with really dead Fender rounds, it sounded pretty good. I will put it thru it's paces over the next 2 days and then take it to practice Friday and see how it sounds with the rest of the band :bassist:

Biskitt

2. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Of my three 'amp heads' this is the one I'd choose if allowed to keep only one. Hopefully, that situation will never arise. Hope you enjoy your RPM as much as I have enjoyed mine.

ImportedPhotos00901.

M. M. :)

3. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Definitely a preamp to be reckoned with...Wish I still had mine around =(

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Last year I switched to a spendy all-tube preamp, but neither my RBI or RPM are going anywhere. IMO, these are the best preamps you can buy in that price range, and if the SansAmp tone and OD characteristics work for you then they compete in any price range.

Congrats! Hope the RPM works as well for you as it did for me.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Yup, the RPM is one of my favorites, regardless of price.

6. Thanks guys!

I am really looking forward to giving it a good run thru this evening after work and then again at practice Friday.

I have been wanting to try the RPM for some time, and would really like to try the RBI/RPM combo down the road. :hyper:

Biskitt

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I like mine. It's the ParaDI pedal version—has done well by Upright, passive Jazz & P-basses, guitar, and violin. Need to try it with my old passive MTD 5er!

8. I have the ParaDI as well. Took a while for me to dial it in, but so far it's worth it.

Enjoy!

9. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Ahhh and you have an extra rack space for and RBI too! I ran both the RPM and RBI together for quite sometime. Great sounding pre's singlular and in tandem. Enjoy and lot's of old threads here on TB that discuss basic settings to get you rolling.

10. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Hey I didn't know we could do "new pre-amp day" threads!

I got an RPM last month and like the OP I'm running it into the power amp input of my solid-state head (Ampeg B500R - loud, but pretty sterile sounding on its own).

So far my favorite thing about it (besides the sound - duh!) is the range of connectivity options on the back. I currently have two XLR cables coming from the "uneffected" and "sansamp" outputs into my PC interface for recording two tracks at once (leaves lots of options for tweaking during mixdown) and at the same time I have another 1/4" cable going into the power amp. So I can go back and forth between recording and rockin out loud (or both) by simply dialing the XLR and Level knobs on the front appropriately. No more playing cable monkey! :hyper:

Very, very happy with it.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Ooh, the RBI/RPM combo was absolutely it for me! If you get the RBI, do some research about the parallel wiring config. But each preamp sounds great in its own way without assistance from the other.

12. I played an RPM for years and loved it. Not sure why I ever sold mine. Oh well live and learn. Still a great PRE

13. Well Fuzzbass, I couldn't help myself....I have an RBI on the way...

Biskitt

14. Well, I got the RBI and have been A/B - ing them for a couple days on their own...

As a single pre, the RPM is out in front...that's not saying anything bad about the RBI, I just seem to like the RPM a bit more.

Have band practice tomorrow and have them both racked up. I am going to try them each alone and then together and see what happens then :D

Biskitt

15. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Cool. I wasn't so hot on the RBI by itself, but I really dug it running in parallel with the RPM.

16. And the winner is...

sansamp.

The RPM :hyper:

Actually, I really liked both of them, but I could only keep one for now and the RPM just worked better for me.

I can see picking up an RBI again at some point in time though

First full gig with this setup is next Friday :bassist:

Biskitt