1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPBD!!!!! DIY content

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dogbertday, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    IMAG0597. IMAG0597. IMAG0593. IMAG0588. So I finally put together my diy pedal board to use for DI/IEM use.

I haven't even plugged it in for a test yet, but I had to share my excitement. Might also post to the pt mini or diy threads.

Plywood, Velcro, guerilla tape, and the rest is pretty obvious. It even fits in this bin I had!

Oh yeah. Makes a kick ass silent practice rig! anyone using a similar geat?

48thStreetCustom, Duder and rllefebv like this.
  2. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I've been meaning to build my own board, too. I just happened to see this thread because I'm actually looking up ideas for DIY pedals. I assume you've tested the board now. How did/does it work?

Dogbertday likes this.
  3. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I'm working toward the same type of deal. I just don't know if I want to go wireless or wired. I'm such a clutz that I'm leaning toward wireless. The fact that I already own a couple decent wireless units, and a sennheiser IEM unit is helping that decision.

Duder, Dogbertday and iain westland like this.
  4. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    It sounds really good. The Eden is turning out to be a little redundant as the pre on the LmIII sounds so good anyway, and I'm using the vle knob as my amp sim (which works great!). The Rolls is great, I'm glad I got the one with a limiter. It's even a killer headphone practice rig.

If I had the gear/coin I would have gone wireless. My hybrid cable works great, but it is cumbersome. I'm planning on eventually going wireless with hopefully either a reddi and or other signal processing upgrade, but I'm broke so... Yeah.

Duder likes this.
  5. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Oh, you've got a twofer cable? That's cool. I'd prolly rig something like that up, if I decide to go wired

6. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Yeah it works really well while playing. Cumbersome to wrap, but works well.

7. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I'm thinking I'd try to see if I could use a single cable. They make quad conductor plus shield mic cable, and five pin connectors

8. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    In my research I found that ordering a custom cable would've been the way to go if doing the single cable thing. The few that are mass produced get poor reviews. I built my board out of mostly what I already had cause like I said, I'm broke :)
    Further on the Eden, it's a great box that I'm keeping on here for now, it's nice to not have to pull out the LMIII just to make everything work.

9. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Since you said you had the wireless stuff already though you may want to go for that, unless you need to be able to do both.

10. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Yeah, if I were going wired, I'd at least need the rolls pm thing, and to make or bundle the cables. Then there is my big ogre ass doing the cable trip dance all night.....

11. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    You can use your senheisser to go wired when you want to (at home, or whatever) just putting your bass and whatever else into a small mixer first or even straight into the sennheisser if you only want bass signal.

12. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    I have a few HP amp options. In fact, I can use the senn transmitter to drive wired headphones, if I recall. I'm thinking redundancy, if there is a problem with the rf, for whatever reason. I'm getting it sorted out.

13. Dogbertday

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Gotcha! My redundancy built in is molded ear plugs and no monitor, I've done it (when iems weren't an option at all and the band didn't bring a monitor box) it works for a night. Granted I don't sing a lot if at all.

If you plan on having your wireless box near you, just a cable to your ears would be a good enough redundancy, usually those go sit by the sound board ime.

14. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    they tend to, but mine will be on the pedal board. Digital mixer, with my mix controlled by my phone. Three lines between the pedal board and the desk. Bass, vocal, mon return. Good times.

Dogbertday likes this.