NPBD: T-Rex ToneTrunk 45

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dgrizzly, May 5, 2016.

1. dgrizzly

dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Turned 30 a couple of weeks ago and got myself a few goodies :D

IMG_0177.JPG

New Stuff:
    • T-Rex ToneTrunk 45 pedalboard
    • T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon power supply
    • Korg Pitchblack mini tuner
    • EarthQuaker Devices Pitch Bay harmonizer
    • Aguilar TLC compressor
    • BOSS Space Echo delay/reverb
    I can't stop landing UFO's !

Seriously, though, I haven't seen too much on the T-Rex boards, so I thought I would share. Haven't had a chance to gig it yet, but I will tomorrow! :bassist:

2. dgrizzly

dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    So, I used the new board at practice last night. Initial thoughts:
    • I like the ToneTrunk's "tiered" design as apposed to PedalTrain's "slope" because it is easier to stomp pedals in the back row, however, it limits you on the size of pedals you can use (I had to put the Space Echo up top due to the jacks being at the top of the unit)
    • The size of the TroneTrunk 45 is perfect for me (about the same as a PedalTrain Junior)
    • The Tone Hammer is NOISY on it's own 18 volt Chameleon outlet, but only on the AGS setting (even with gain at 12 o'clock)
    • The edges of the ToneTrunk board are SHARP (be careful taking it in and out of the bag)
    • The ToneTrunk soft bag is not even close to PedalTrain quality
      • Zippers are very light duty and catch really bad when trying to zip the bag
      • Not much padding for your pedals
        • Both of these things make me nervous carrying a heavy board in the bag
    I'm sure I'll have more to say after tonight's gig :D

Anybody else using a T-Rex board? How do you like it compared to PedalTrain products?

3. dgrizzly

dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Follow up from the gig! Everything went well, however, I'm having some issues with my T-Rex gear :(

IMG_0196.PNG

I have only ever powered the Tone Hammer with batteries before getting the Chameleon, so I didn't have much to compare it to. I will say, though, that battery operation was MUCH quieter.

This issue isn't just isolated to the TH, though. Unfortunately, my B3K is even LOUDER than the TH. This is extremely surprising as it was near-silent daisy chained on my 1spot.

This is really, really disappointing. I haven't been able to open the bag yet with one clean zip. The zippers are bottom-of-the-barrel quality and get stuck constantly, even when being extremely careful. I'm probably going to wind up buying a PedalTrain bag to replace it.

4. dgrizzly

dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Final Thoughts:
    • I get more noise with the Chameleons's isolated power than I did with my 1spot daisy chain
    • T-Rex quality control is not good
      • Unfinished edges on board (sharp! I've cut myself multiple times taking it out of the bag)
      • Bag zippers are horrible (I have not been able to unzip the bag cleanly even one time, delaying setup/teardown)
      • Only came with enough velcro for 2 board widths (6 required to cover board, had to go buy more)

Conclusion:
    I will probably wind up selling my T-Rex gear and replacing it with PedalTrain and Voodoo Labs. Lesson learned!

5. dgrizzly

dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    Regarding the other new gear...

Korg Pitchblack mini tuner
    Catches the bass signal well, bright display, small package, can run on batteries.

EarthQuaker Devices Pitch Bay harmonizer
    Definitely has the "warble" that some describe, but I still find it very usable and a cool surprise for the listener.

Aguilar TLC compressor
    An improvement over my Xotic SP, IMO. I find I can get a "chewier" tone out of it, which I like.

BOSS Space Echo delay/reverb
    Big, but having issues with my Afterneath right now so it will stay for the time being.

6. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Sorry you are having isssues with it. I considered the Tone Trunk but found almost nothing on it and it scared me away a bit. I went with a Gator board, and it's a bit bigger than this one or a PT Jr, I like it a lot.

7. SebassG

SebassG

Mar 25, 2019
    Hello, sorry for my English ... the fault is with Google translator: S
    Maybe you can help me, I want to buy T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon power supply.
    I have to supply power to a Hammer Tone, so I could read about the HT needs 18V and 500mA. The 18V output of Fuel Tank delivered 300mA, is this a problem for the HT? Do you have noise problems?
    Thank you for reading!