1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD... Ampeg SCR-DI!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spidey2112, Dec 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Was in the market for a bass driver/direct injection box, as I think it's going to come in handy, in the near future. Purchase was based on reviews (for me, a toss up between this and Tech21 BDDI), and price was right on point, for used (Thanks, @GhettoBrassGuy!)

IMAG1968.

I practiced with it, tonight, using headphones and my phone into the Aux jack... very nice! I will try it, tomorrow, Line Out into an amp, then later in the week, XLR at rehearsal.

One thing I wanted to note is USPS stepped up to the plate, delivering it in a timely manner, cross country... intact, I might add...

2. It’s a great pedal for live use and practice. Great piece of gear - the basis of my small pedalboard

StrangerBasses and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Just recieved my scr di yesterday! Sounds/feels/looks good. On to tweeking :D:D I think it actually sounds a lot better and Thicker in real life than the YouTube clips i was lookin at :D

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    For 'comparison', our keyboard guy offered up a Pyle DI, as a cheap alternative... they may be great, in a pinch, but the reviews did nothing for their self-esteem.

The SCR-DI looks as though it was well thought out, hence the great design...

... I'll have to do some more research/experimentation as to whether the XLR OUT is pre-EQ/effect, or post, and where to best install in the signal chain (pedalboard)... I would think pre-effects, myself, but I'm new to this category...

... suggestions? Experiences? (Thanks!)

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I like mine a lot, it is my always on pedal. Try it at different points in your chain, it does sound a bit different in different spots. Find what you like best.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  6. Nice! Nuthin wrong with an early X-Mas present! I'm looking forward to hearing your findings.
    Happy Holidays!,
    Brent

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Right back atcha, my friend! What little time I do find, over the next week, will be dedicated to the repair, by yours truly, of the intermittent output barrel jack of the 'new' ('15) SR805 I received. Sweetwater was nice enought to send not only the Ibanez replacement, but it's Switchcraft equivalent... love those guys and gals!

... as you know, Brent, it's always something. I'm pretty sure I can take the SCR-DI right into the GNX-3, and record... something... :thumbsup:.

Lvjoebass and BrentSimons like this.
  8. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Nice score, Spidey! :thumbsup:

I have an SCR-DI, and I use it for silent practice to play along with songs. I love it! :)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  9. Congrats, great pedal! Have used it on all of my gigs since I got one a few months back, gets you plenty of the classic Ampeg tones and a clean signal to FOH! Just did a run playing large theatres/stadiums and in favor of bringing large cabs/amps, I solely brought my SCR-DI and ran it direct, some of the best live tone I've ever gotten! Plenty of tonal shaping and the onboard OD is an awesome touch! What can I say, as a faithful Ampeg guy this thing rocks!
    Happy Holidays:thumbsup:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Thank, Zach! Be safe, my friend!

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If it sounds as good live, as it does through the headphones, I'm good to go... Thanks, @SactoBass! Be safe, my friend!

SactoBass likes this.
  12. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    I LOVE mine as well. Used it last night, actually, and with the Hi/Lo buttons, it really pulls some nice tones out of any bass you plug into it. The Scrambler comes in handy, too. Built like a tank. Just overall a great piece of gear.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  13. Yay!!!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just stuck one on my board a few days back. Overall, a really useful pedal!

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Riis

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The XLR out is post EQ/effect. I prefer it last in the chain before my amp because I want all my effects going to the board.

16. Keeshman556

Keeshman556

Aug 16, 2016
    I gotta give ampeg credit for this piece of gear. It’s built very solidly and it can get some great sounds. I prefer the deep switch to get some massive bass. I found when running d.i. I had to have the internal jumper set to the -15db setting.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

You too! And Happy Holidays to you and your family! :)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks, Riis! Right back atcha, kiddo!

19. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    I'm ordinarily not a pedal guy beyond having a tuner but I have to say that an SCR-DI in front of my Markbass CMD121P is mighty satisfying. There's lots to learn yet. I'm also waiting for an opportunity to connect it to a powered cab to see what that's like and then to a headphone for practice.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Internal jumper... -15db... (I did not even know...)

TalkBass... the pot of info, at the end of the G string rainbow...