1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD - Bad monkey and Joyo dr j sparrow

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shoulderpet, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Just recently got these 2 pedals, Bad monkey is an overdrive and the Joyo sparrow is a di/overdrive. Loving these 2 pedals,the Joyo sparrow sounds bad with the drive turned all the way up but with the drive backed off a little it does the gritty very slightly overdriven sound very well and really adds some balls to a bass tone, in short it is a great pedal to beef up your basses tone.
    The Bad monkey is a great overdrive pedal, very popular on bass,gives a nice old school overdriven tone. One thing i have noticed is that it is very sensitive to input volume and initially i was having trouble getting a good tone with some of my higher output basses with this pedal,after backing off the volume control on said basses i was able to dial in a great overdriven tone with ease.The other thing with this pedal is that it does boost your mids and seems to cut the highs a little.
    Both pedals combined sounds awesome and the Joyo seems to compensate for the boosted mids of the Bad monkey.

Attached Files:

kikstand454 likes this.
  2. Oh yes the joys of stacking drive pedals to create new and interesting textures.

I am having much fun with my current line up > FuzzNutz > Xp > Hot Tubes > BDPG.2 >>

3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Yes im not big on most effects but overdrive i love because you can use it to make your tone more ballsy or you can all out fuzz

4. ColdEye

ColdEye

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Have the Dr J here somewhere, never really liked it it my p bass and flats. Gonna dig it out now for my jazz with rounds.

5. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I can imagine it probably doesn't sound that good with flats but it sounds great on my basses with rounds although i back the drive off a little so it just adds a little grit,with the drive up too high it doesn't sound good

6. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    Nice. I really dig the Bad Monkey, it's a great Tube Screamer for very little money. I'll say it sounds better with my Tbird than my EMG-equipped Jazz though. It gets very Lemmy-ish when I crank the drive on my amp too, although sometimes I wish there was a bit more bass. I might do the cap mod on it to make it a bit more bass-friendly, but it's good as it is.