1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

NPD - Barbershop + SCR + GK = whoaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by richntiff, Apr 27, 2018.

1. so I’ve been looking for a more svelte alternative to my Ampeg SCR-DI. I love that box, I really do - but it’s not small. And, I never use the scrambler circuit, I think it sounds like slightly warmed up poo. And I’m trying to shrink my gear setup. But the preamp side - love it.

Anyways.... bought a Barbershop from another TB’er. Plugged it into my signal chain today to see if it might be able to boot my SCR off the pedalboard. Amp is a GK MB112/MBP 112 mini stack ( boost the mids, roll back the bass on the amp...)

So - SCR by itself. Yep - sounds nice, got that tone most of us like.

Barbershop by itself - yep, this is a coooool pedal. The sag knob is killer. This is the most responsive pedal I’ve tried yet with regard to altering the tone with how you dig in/etc. I like it much better than the VMT - I just did not feel it with that pedal - it was tinny and fake sounding to my ears. The Barbershop is more organic and natural for me. I like this tone. This is good tone, I can work with this.

Then, I turned them on together. Good Lord. Sonic bliss. Huge fat round tone. Punchy, articulate, ballsy. I’m in love. Nobody tell my wife!!!!

My pedal board just grew, instead of shrinking. Oh well....

JimmyM and GMC like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Other than the silly "Scrambler sounds like poo" part, good deal :D

Actually I greatly prefer the separate Scrambler pedal to the SCR-DI version. Don't tell Ampeg!

eriky4003 likes this.
  3. Lol - I haven’t heard the seperate scrambler pedal - so I’ll bow to your wisdom there! I did have the classic analog preamp pedal though - for a short time. I was really disappointed in the amount of noise in that pedal.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021