NPD- Bass MicroSynth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by krfoss, Mar 28, 2018.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I've had my eye on it for a while, found a deal, and pounced. I spent around two hours last night futzing around with the settings using the online guide, and WOW this thing is fun. I've been faking my synth sounds using a MXR Bass Octave Deluxe --> Fuzz (previously MXR bass fuzz, then EBS multidrive, then Mastotron) --> Chorus, but this blows them all away simply because of the sustain functions.

I posted a question about getting the pedals needed to nail the synth part on an Outkast song a while ago, and with this pedal into my MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe, I've done it! I may post some sound clips later.

My next question for those who have the MicroSynth, or for any opinionated people on TB (if only I could find one...) is will it be necessary or needlessly redundant to keep the mastotron and octave pedal now that the MicroSynth lives on my board? So many questions!

BrentSimons and mattbass6945 like this.
  2. Bastijnv

Bastijnv

Nov 14, 2015
    Utrecht NL
    I use to own one, and as I recall it wouldn't track as well below the low 'A' on the 'E' string. I switched to the Future Impact which answered all my synth needs and more.

I liked the sound though, so if u don't have to go low, you'll have fun for ages.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Yah, its not great on the E string, especially when the octave is engaged, but thats to be said about any octave pedal. I would love to try to Future Impact, but I cant justify the cost at this point. I'm also avoiding trying it because I know myself and know I'll fall in love.

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    I just got a bass microsynth as well, but am thinking about sending it back. I don't like the feel of it...the notes decay immediately...like literally seem to just stop. I associate the synth sound with at least some level of sustain.

Is yours the same way?

5. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Hmm... did you buy used? turn the "rate" slider up.

Try futzing around with these settings: https://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/bass-microsynth-templates.pdf

6. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    The BMS handles everything that I want from an octaver, fuzz, and filter. I find the tracking to be excellent, and since I always have octave below mixed in I never want to go below the open A string anyway. Usually I play parts an octave up when BMS is engaged.
    IMO the standout thing about BMS is the filter section. Very simple, but such a great way to control by setting start / end point of the sweep. It can do stuff that a normal up / down filter just can't. Love the slider UI, the 9v power requirement, and the small size (considering that it replaces 3 pedals in my case).

geolikezik and Seanbassplayer like this.
  7. Start by making sure your bass volume is all the way up, then mess with the sensitivity slider. If your bass has low output that could be the problem, but you could use a boost or compressor before the BMS. Part of the circuit is a gate that is supposed to cut off the sustain when the bass volume gets too low, to keep the sustain tail clean. If your bass output is good, you should have a reasonable amount of sustain.

That said, the lack of gate adjustability is the only thing I don't like about the BMS, XO version. The original larger version has an internal trimpot for that, but that still wouldn't help you if your bass output is too low.

geolikezik likes this.
  8. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Another thought, you may want to open the back up and play around with the gain adjustment inside. Perhaps its set incorrectly for your bass.

9. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    I've got a pair of Guild Bisonics in my bass. Is that sufficient output?

10. dByron

dByron

Mar 10, 2018
    I'll give that a try.

11. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    It's an amazing pedal, I've owned an older huge one and one of the newer/smaller ones. Both sounded the same and gave me exactly what I wanted outta a synth bass sound, tracked perfect, etc. The last time I didn't know about the internal trim pot and sold it unfortunately because of the volume loss...

And no, it's not redundant to still use a fuzz/octaver combo as you won't get that sorta sound with the BMS alone....I don't know why this pedal doesn't get more love as its one of the best!!

cavemanbass, cdlynch and geolikezik like this.
  12. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    As someone who has both the MXR BOD, Bass Microsynth and a few other octave pedals...

If I were you I'd keep both the MXR BOD and the Microsynth

Very different sounds with very different uses IMO.

hintz likes this.
  13. KarlHungus8124

KarlHungus8124

Jun 22, 2018
    Hey all,
    I'm new to Talkbass as a poster, but I'm always reading these threads. Great source of info! Saw this one and wanted to drop a line. I also own the Bass Microsynth (24V, true bypass mod) and MXR BOD, as well as numerous others. I recently switched up my board to accommodate a hip-hop/electronica/rock project that I'm working on, and one of the things that I found really helpful to beef up the low end was to run the BMS and the BOD into separate loops with a Boss LS-2 and mix them together. The LS-2 allows both the BMS and BOD to run in parallel, and it sounds amazing! I was noticing before I made this change that if I ran those effects into each other, I seemed to be losing something with the tone. BMS > BOD seemed to cause a loss of the high end, BOD > BMS seemed like it was causing some phasing issues with the sub-bass...something didn't sound right with the low end. But running both in parallel, I no longer have any of those issues and the sound is huge! The sub-bass on the BMS helps to round out the low end on that pedal, but IME it's not nearly as beefy as a dedicated octaver would be. Give it a whirl and I bet it will change your life! Those LS-2s can be found used for pretty cheap on Reverb. My only issue with the LS-2 is that when it is set in parallel loop mode, each loop lacks a killswitch. So for example, if I want synth but no octaver, I still get a dry bass signal on the octaver side when it is bypassed and vice versa. I may add a couple of cheap kill switches to each side to solve this problem, but it's not enough of an issue that I'm going crazy trying to find a solution.

14. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    Personally I never owned a Bass Micro Synth, but have had the pleasure of trying one out and it is on my GAS list.

Now for your question:
    The answer will depend on what specifically you use your Micro Synth for and what you use the other two pedals for, as well as if you need the different flavors those pedals offers compared to how those features sound on the Micro Synth.
    Might be practical to be able to swap between two different settings and flavors at a step on a pedal vs. having to adjust the sliders on the Micro Synth every time you need something different.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021