1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD Broughton HPF

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by interp, Nov 8, 2018.

1. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Just took delivery of a new Broughton HPF. This is the first time I’ve used one. Plugged it all in and tried it out with my standard rig (Marleaux five string or Fender P w/ flats>WW>EA VL-208>EA VL-110). I could definitely hear the difference.

Next up: live testing on a gig...

eriky4003, smartinson and Morrighan like this.
  2. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    I'm very interested to hear your report. These HPF things have my curiosity piqued.

3. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Same plus I'd like to know what makes one HPF better than another. I've learned how they affect your tone and presence by experimenting with the filters built into the SA Aftershock but I still don't know what makes one better than any others.

4. briandavismurph

briandavismurph Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    I’m using an f deck Hpf and have found it works better when I use it in the effects loop ymmv

Robertron likes this.
  5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Given that HPF are subtractive EQs, as in they cut frequencies instead of boosting, there's not really much to differentiate one from another.

That being said, the slope of the filter (ie. dB cut per octave) would be one point of comparison.

Of course also size, cost, headroom...

6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Thank you I didn't consider the dB cut between circuits. I haven't experimented enough with the slope in the Aftershock's parameters.

7. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Congrats. I’m using the L+HPF from Brotun, and I love it. It’s a great tone tool.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

About the only real thing tgat would differentiate one brand from another is how clean they are. In a perfect world a filter would have unity gain and do nothing to your signal but cut frequencies.

I’ve got a Broughton HPF in the effects loop of my SWR SM-400. I don’t have another HPF to compare it to. But the Broughton does all that so I’m happy with it.

NKBassman likes this.
  9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I think the only things that differentiate one from another is the slope, build quality, cost and form factor. A major difference is having an adjustable filter point so you can tailor your HPF to the room you are playing in. Then some units like the sfx Microthump include a buffer.

The Broughton is just about the ultimate in my opinion.

NKBassman likes this.
  10. Jeff Carroll

Jeff Carroll

Jun 7, 2018
    I just received my Broughton HPF.
    Is there a proper order with the other equipment?
    I have a SansAmp Tech21 DI and a tuning pedal.
    Should the HPF go before or after the Pre Amp?

11. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    There's arguments for both.
    Put it first to tailor your tone before the Sansamp. Take out mud and clack and feed your Sansamp a cleaner signal. You'll probably get a little less breakup as a result. Also, if you're using the sansamp as a DI then you'll be filtering your signal before the DI to the house system.

Put it after the Sansamp if you like the response you're getting from that pedal and just want to clean up your signal before it hits the amp.

eriky4003, Btbp and Kevnn4 like this.
  12. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    Good thread and posting to see if there are any more comment on the signal train order by others who use these.

I'm planning to get a Broughton HPF and Keely Bassist (and maybe a Boss LMB-2 Limiter) to add to my Sansamp BDDI and make a pedalboard out of it. That I would use all of the time, and I would gather there are a variety ways to chain them.

I am also thinking to make a second pedalboard with effects (Boss OC-2, Boss SYB-3, TC Chorus, Boss RV-3 Delay / Reverb, Ibanez CS-9 Chorus) which I will route to a second amp using my Radial Twin City ABY to have a dry amp and effect amp.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  13. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Keeley Bassist and Boss would do the same thing more or less. I would suggest the Digitech Ditry Robot over the SYB-3 0r 5 Just seemed a better unit overall . And Check out the new MXR VBO it sounds very close to the OC-2 for much less $ and also less space. Just IMHO YMMV.

Btbp likes this.
  14. I just received the Broughton Always On HPF and was amazed at the clarity of tone coming from this Mud Removal Machine both at low volumes and band rehearsal. Best money I've spent in a while.

Btbp likes this.
  15. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    Thanks for the recommendations. I already have all of those pedals except the Broughton and Keely, and yeah, some are not the best of their versions, but I've had them for years, most for decades, and don't use the Synth or Octave enough to upgrade.

Having said that, as soon as someone makes a synth pedal that actually does Innervisions / Talking Book-perfect Stevie- or Gary Wright-level keyboard synth bass that tracks perfectly, I'll be first in line. Until then I continue to poorly approximate it with those.

I've yet to see the Keely in the wild to try it out, but from all the reading I've done on it, it sounds like it's a much better and different unit than the LMB-2.

16. Btbp

Btbp

Mar 2, 2008
    Everywhere at once
    Good to hear. I am still on the fence about the Always On vs. his other HPF, leaning towards the latter.

eriky4003 likes this.