NPD - Broughton LPF/HPF

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adhesive_X, Sep 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IMG_2742.JPG Man, i cant believe I've played so many years without one of these. If I could only have one pedal besides a tuner this would be it.

So useful, my cab doesnt fart out anymore and B string sounds super tight!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You're welcome :D OK, so I didn't design it or anything, but Josh started making the LPF because of a thread of mine wanting a variable LPF in a micro pedal and not being able to find one. That led to his little HPF which led to his combining them into one MXR-sized pedal. I use separates because I don't want LPF on my upright when I double, but the single pedal with both is great if you don't need to split the duties.

I know...pretty cheesy of me to try to steal Josh's thunder...I'll stop in a couple years :D

Ti-Ron, wmmj, two fingers and 3 others like this.
  3. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Agreed. After using that pedal for the past few months I have a hard time imagining how I got by without one for so long.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Any info on the design?

JimmyM likes this.
  5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have one of these also pure magic as far as I am concerned. makes my low B sound so much better and takes some of the sizzle out of the highs. Just an amazing pedal .

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nope, that's Josh's deal. I'm an ideas man :D

Hoochie Coochie Man likes this.
  7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Josh makes great stuff.

How are you liking the Horizon Precision drive?

GentProvocateur likes this.
  8. Well, your opinion carries a lot of weight around here. So when I read you singing it's praises on more than one occasion, I knew i couldn't go wrong.

JimmyM likes this.
  9. havent had much time to play with it yet.

I like it. It's way better than a tube screamer clone. The noise gate work really well. The attack knob or highpass filter cuts out a good amount of bass, might be too much for some. I wish you could bypass the HPF completely.

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I still need one of these.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nice of you to say, but I hope you say that if I recommend a pedal you don't like in the near future :D

12. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    Where do I get one of these things?

13. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    svlilioukalani likes this.
  14. svlilioukalani

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    Edmang, thanks for the information.

15. martinc

martinc In Memoriam

16. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    I am definitely picking one of these up. Been reading about them for a bit and glad to finally have tracked down the channel to reach out! TB is truly an amazing community. Now just have to wait for Josh to get back from vacation to get a response from my PM.:hyper::bassist::D

17. svlilioukalani

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I thinking of getting a high pass filter very soon. My question is......

I use a Bergantino Speakers that have a frequency cut off of around 45hZ. Will a high pass filter be a benefit if the speaker filters frequency's at this point? Or is it overkill. Can this filter still tighten up my tone?

Thanks.....

18. shadowrider

shadowrider Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I had already decided to pick up the BA HPF later this week, but now I'm considering this instead. Even though there is only one bybass switch for both filters, wouldn't the extreme ranges of each allow you to effectively come close to "turning off" each one (i.e, dialing down the HPF all the way to 20hz or dialing up the LPF all the way to 20Khz...)?

Edit: to add -- speaking in the context of a 4 string bass guitar...

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I believe the LPF goes to 16k, but for all practical purposes on bass it's about the same as 20k. But yes, it's effectively the same as turning them off.

20. shadowrider

shadowrider Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks JimmyM! I was going by 20kH as that's what's on the version on the website now (specs say 20kH too); I was incorrect on the HPF though -- I said it went down to 20H but it looks like it goes down to 25H. I agree -- not much difference in either the HPF or LPF case for practical purposes.

LHPF.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021