1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD Cali76 Compact Bass. Suggestions on how to deal with easy clipping?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MAFbass1992, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MAFbass1992

MAFbass1992 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    A couple of days ago I received my new Cali76 CB. Really impressed with the quality and sound of the pedal. I'm kinda new to compression and I pulled the trigger on this one because everyone seems to be using it! I like how versatile it is and how smooth the compression is.

I say that I'm new to compression because I used to have an Aguilar TLC that I was just tweaking ''in and there''. I ditched it because it had the old ''lip'' design and couldn't stay attached to my board. So here I am with a high end comp trying to understand it by not fiddling to much around!

Only downside to the Cali76 is I wasn't expecting to be able to clip so easily. The various settings shown in the manual show the input knob at 12, and I get a fair amount of distortion. I also tried to replicate several settings in different youtube demos and Talkbass users (There's a thread with users sharing their settings). To be honest, it doesn't really bug me that much, considering it still sounds good! The clipping could be used to have a distortion ''a la'' Vulfpeck, kinda Vulf compressor with Joe Dart digging it style of sound... If you know what I mean! ;)

So, How are you dealing with this clipping? Cali76 seems to be a warmer comp in general, if I'm not mistaken. Are you using it with the dry and the HPF to get a warmer compression and ''hide'' the clipping? I use it with a Pbass with flats and a Mike Lull PJ5 and to get clean compression at any ratio I can't use the input at more than 9 o'clock. Is this normal? The PJ5 has a bit more punch, but still, it's a passive bass! The output is loud enough to compensate the input at any settings anyway.

TLDR: Got a Cali76 and wasn't expecting it to clip that easily. How are you dealing with that? Could it be possible I have a faulty unit?

2. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Sounds like me with my old seymour duncan studio bass. I now have a cali cb and cant get dirt out of it if i try........

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."
    Doctor: "well don't do that then"

Turn the input way down. Just because the manual shows that, don't do what it shows. Use the indicator light on the unit to set the input. The unit has a sweep on the input control so that you can bring it way down or up. Although I have a high output bass (Dingwall NG3 run series with DG preamp) and I'm still in the 10-2 range on the input, so I'm trying to figure what you're feeding it that's so hot. For me I get very very occasional hits of yellow but ride in the orange 99% of the time.

4. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I got a tiny bit of clipping digging in on the open E when I first got mine. I run it with the input just beyond triggering the light for some lighter compression, and I typically have the HPF close to maxed in order to let more natural low end through. The solution was running at 18V. On 9V I can easily get it to clip, and at 18V it's clean no matter what.

Hypercaffium, BurningSkies and PeterH like this.
  5. MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal
    I wasn't sure if the Input was actually the Volume of the instrument you want to send to the compressor. I think I have to see it as, ''how much of the instrument you want it to be compressed'', right? :help:

Grahams Groove likes this.
  6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Surprisingly the manual explains the finction of the controls.

okabass and BurningSkies like this.
  7. MAFbass1992

Feb 4, 2012
    Montreal

Attached Files:

• d6f.jpg
      d6f.jpg
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
    PeterH likes this.
  8. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Use it to control how hard you hit the compression circuit. So you crank the input to get the light going yellow/orange, and you should hear the circuit compressing more and sustaining a bit more. Fine tune with the ratio, attack/release, and HPF.

9. hztjtao

hztjtao

Sep 29, 2016
    I use mine at 18v , no signal clipping with input and output knobs set at noon.

I am using the MXR M87 previously, the Cali76 sounds more musical on the whole. the M87 works better as a limiter but not more pleasing to my ears.

BurningSkies likes this.
  10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Using it at 18v usually resolves that. Also use the input gain to regulate that.
    I usually set also the output a little bit above unity so that it pushes a bit the amp to get more presence.
    I also found that the settings in the manual boost too much of the bass signal and that some of the clipping comes from it pushing the preamp sectiona of the amp.

Hypercaffium likes this.