1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD - COG!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by socialleper, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    When I started getting into boutique pedals there was a select list of "must haves." Getting my hands on a COG Effects pedal without paying full price was one of those goals.
    I have achieved that goal!
    This new-to-me TK-421-X custom is a fun little box. I've only spent 30 minutes with it and I can already see a lot of potential. The Blend acts like a clean channel volume, similar to the TAFM, with a LPF for taking out highs if you want. The Level is the dirt channel volume, so you can mix an match levels however you want. LPF-2 is a tone for the dirt channel and there is a 4 position clipping rotary on the front instead of inside.
    I also got it super cheap, especially for a COG. I'd almost feel bad for the Aussie that sold it to me if it hadn't been an Aussie that talked my first wife into divorcing me and then moving to Australia. I got a better second wife and a nifty pedal, so Karma is right by me.

20171003_195252.

2. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Nice pedal! Love my cog effects! Sorry to hear about your wife related stuff but I guess you won out ok!?

socialleper likes this.
  3. I love my mini TK-421 it’s the distortion tone I’ve been searching for since I started playing.

4. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I used mine at practice two nights ago. It is pretty neat. It is a very "complete" sounding distortion, is that makes any sense.
    I'm very happy so far.

Jonny_Orange likes this.
  5. theunknowndude

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Mini tk421 exists??? Where??

6. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The current model, like mine, is "retired" and a lot of the newer models are smaller. It could be coming. I think they will custom anything reasonable.

7. theunknowndude

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    It's why I asked... its not on the stock products page and when I asked Tom it's been coming for 12 months or so now :(

8. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Just for your information, I spoke with Tom yesterday and he told me that "the TK-421 is ready to be re-released, with a higher spec on the new version, which will include a clean blend, all in the same size as the Mini 66".

I'm a little bit undecided. I'm looking for an OD with some good range from low gain to more aggressive tones. I don't do hihg gain stuff often, but since I want this to be my only dirt pedal (except for fuzz) I'd like to have a good range. Is it better to go with the TK-421 or the Mini 66?

9. theunknowndude

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Well if you want a comparison easily... both pedals have YouTube demos out there... and 66 is OCD based where as tk421 is rat based. Rat will easily get you more aggression.

CunniMingus and Jonny_Orange like this.
  10. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Well, Rat circuits usually sound great at low to mid gain settings, so I guess this pedal can do low gain pretty well. I've used a Rat with guitar for a while and I used it for anything.
    I've used also an original OCD with guitar and low gain settings were a little bit more aggressive compared to a Rat, which seems to work different with low gain.

11. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Sometimes people don't have a clear distinction between OD and distortion in their head. If I explain it a little, it might help you decide what to do.
    OD are usually more mids focused and are more articulate. Good ones are sensitive to how much you dig in.
    Distortions are much more compressed and scooped. The Rat circuit isn't as compressed or scooped as a HM2 circuit, but it still isn't an OD tone at all.
    The options on the COG I purchased gives me a lot of options, but within the parameters of what a distortion does. It can sound very cool on your own, or help you reinforce the guitar. It doesn't help you pop out of a dense mix the way a OD can, if that's what you want.
    Those are the basics of OD v Distortion. The version of this pedal are just bells and whistles. The clipping on mine isn't as useful as I had hoped, but the blend HPF options are cool. I personally feel like all drive pedals need a blend of some kind when used on bass. That's me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    CunniMingus and theunknowndude like this.
  12. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Actually, I'm more into OD than distortion mostly because of the genres I play. I just wanted to check if the TK-421 works for low gain stuff. Obviously the circuits are voiced differently, mid range is a little bit scooped on Rats.

13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I came up with that Bansky art work for the original COG radar rat

socialleper likes this.
  14. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Funk Not Only Moves, It Removes"
    You can't go wrong with Cog Effects. BTW, there is at least a 6 week wait for these pedals now. I have three of them. My latest purchase is a T-65 octave pedal. Tom is one of the best in the business when it comes to bass effect pedals.

Mr. voodoobass and CunniMingus like this.
  15. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Been waiting months for the TK421 to come back out sooooo stoked

16. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Anyone can tell me how much mid range push you get with the Mini 66 compared to the TK which is mid scooped?
    With my B3K I get that mid range push even with the gain very low, it's a useful tool to stand out in the mix when needed.
    I'm just trying to decide if I want a Mini 66 or a TK.

theunknowndude likes this.
  17. theunknowndude

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    66 excels at mids, mostly why it ended my OD adventures... clean blend with low mid OD boost for days on end, my always on tone now.

CunniMingus likes this.
  18. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    That's what I wanted to hear. I think I'm gonna ask for a T-16+66 custom pedal. Thanks for your help.

19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    But the guy is very slow with answering emails... I wonder if his customer service is any good... Wanted info on the T-47.... Still didn't get one so I bought another which I am very happy with. But good luck with your pedals they look fantastic.

20. I believe he is just super busy sometimes building. That’s from my own experience dealing and mailing. Love my t-47!