1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD? DOD FX72 repair question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Yes, I have done searches.

I recently came across a DOD Stereo Bass Flanger FX72 and it's a cool little pedal. I actually like using it for more chorusy tones rather than flanger.

However, with a 9v battery the pedal is always on even if I step on it. When I plug it into the wall, the entire power of the pedal turns on and off depending on the angle of the adapter - effect signal or no signal at all. It has a different jack but the pedal came with the right adapter to connect it to a standard one.

Sometimes, with the adapter, it works fine and then after 5 or 10 or even 20 minutes it just starts acting the way I've just explained. This is the first pedal time I've come across this problem myself.

Any idea what the problem might be? Would this be a cheap repair? Should I just go find a proper chorus?

The footswitch does seem a little flimsy, only other pedals I've had experience with are a sansamp BDDI and a TC Polytune where you can really feel it when you turn it on and off but this point might be totally irrelevant.

2. chaosmic

chaosmic

Feb 6, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Not sure if this is an option for you, but Johnny at Alchemy Audio does great work and has repaired DOD pedals for me: ALCHEMY AUDIO

3. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    It seems like you have two problems, one with the switch and one with the adaptor.

The switch is easy! One generation of DOD switches often have this problem, as the screws holding them in place tighten over time. If your model has two little circular dealies at the top of switch, take a pair of plyers and loosen them a little, should do the trick.

As for the jack I'm sure you could get a new part and rewire it or something. That's beyond my expertise tho!

You don't need the jack, however. You could just run it on batteries all the time, or you can get an adaptor that takes a normal male 9v barrel plug and converts it to the battery snaps you find on a 9v battery. Voodoo labs sells one:Battery Snap, Voodoo Lab

And no, don't sell it! Old DOD stuff is rad, and much of it is way undervalued, if you can live with the foot switches, powering, and bypasses. I'm a proud owner of an fx10, fx25, fx62, and fx42b myself, and I'd love to get my hands on an fx90.

4. One of my first effect pedals!
    I bought one after hearing that Billy Gould from Faith No More was using one. :)
    Good luck with the repair!
    Brent

5. holy ghost

holy ghost

Apr 29, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Interesting! Never thought of that. I have a DOD Bass Grunge I love but the switch is garbage. It often doesn't turn off or on.... I love the sound but I wouldn't trust it in a live setting.

Seriously! Nothing but love for DOD despite their engineering flaws..... it's always a crapshoot buying these old DOD pedals as the footswitches are notoriously lousy. I bought a (third) DOD Death Metal recently and after assurances the switch was fine, well.... it wasn't!!

6. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Commercial User

Jul 19, 2012
    Pacodelivery is right, a lot of the switch problems on the old FX Series are due to the screws on the switch getting overtightened. One of the ways to test if it is the screws or the actual tactile switch is to take the bottom off and unscrew the switch PCB. If you can get it to bypass/activate by pressing the switch itself then the switch is fine, the actuator is just not engaging the switch correctly. The screws are actually to get the engagement spacing correct, not to tighten up the switch.

I have gotten really great deals on DOD pedals with "broken switches" when in fact the switches are fine, the actuators have just been overtightened.