1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD DSM Noisemaker OmniCabSim

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darkglass, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Hey guys! Making a thread to let you know about this pedal!
    DSM owner is an old friend from Chile, he's a great engineer and has designed this amazing pedal, I just tested it with some of my own pedals and they pair up super nicely! I'll try to record some demos later on.

I liked it so much I'll be taking it to NAMM for our headphone rig!

Here's a video sample (bass starts at 2:30).

Disclaimer: aside from knowing the builder and really liking the pedal I have no commercial affiliation with DSM whatsoever.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Looks cool. A little large, but I'm sure the enclosure is packed full.

3. DSP based?

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Very cool Doug!! Im interested just because you posted it haha. Would love to try it myself. Thanks for sharing man.

willbassyeah likes this.
  5. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Thats cool!! I'm assuming your gonna run this after your pedals, look forward to how it sounds with your gear in your demo! This could be a good tool for recording:)

6. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    It's analogue! Yeah, the Microtubes have very similar circuitry post drive so they're already pretty smooth on the high end but it doesn't hurt specially for direct recordings.

I think just as a tone shaping tool for a clean bass it can add a lot of punch and depth.

I think many here would enjoy it, specially at the end of your chain or for quick recording.

7. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Yeah, I had to watch that again, Like I need to gas after more stuff now;). But considering how flat response my fEARful is this could be amazing for live use as well, I had to bookmark this!!

8. Time to hit all the cab-sim threads with this bad boy!

+ 1 !

^ Wrote that before I'd listened to the clip. Hokeypizzamaria! What is this voodoo magick? That ol' cliché of the sonic blanket being taken off really rings true for me here. Sharpens everything up, makes everything sound more clear, cleaner... hard to describe.

Somebody needs to do a head-to-head with the Chameleon now.

Dsmnoisemaker, hintz and nshuman like this.
  9. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    hintz likes this.
  10. I'm thinking simulate a BCA rig... :roflmao:

Bass > Barbershop > Azure's Power Stage > Compressor (optional, just trying to get more "tube" compression) > OmniCabSim. :woot:

Then maybe a bit of reverb, for a little "air" and ... some chorus to sweeten things up a tad and maybe a little autowah so I don't tire my pinky on the tone knob... :smug:

...Gal dang, so much for simulating BCA. :rolleyes:

ccouch7, BIG97BEN and hintz like this.
  11. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I just bought a Traynor BCA amp, works well my my pedalboards. ;)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    That is a good price for what it does!! I did a google search and couldn't find it so thanks for the link, got it bookmarked as I'm saving for other stuff right now:)

13. :roflmao::roflmao:

How much do$h for the MTF?

While the Torpedo is insane in terms of tweakability (*price, too), I like to spin pots more than programming. I'd checked out the Chameleon vids previously and thought "Yeah, sounds good."

The Omnicab vid is one of those few pedal demoes that made me sit straight up and say "WoW! This thing's GREAT!"

Don't need it, but do want...

SirMjac28 likes this.
  14. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Cheap YBA200-2 at L&M... 500ish

15. Hmmm, then I have to have the transformer swapped out for 220v etc... I've got an amp Guru here who can do that for me...
    - Purcha$e YBA200-2
    $hipping acro$$ the Pacific,
    - new tran$former,
    - tran$fer tran$former labour charge$...

Or I could just get Azure's P15 (he's putting a 220v in mine) and route it through the Omnicab and use in-ears... :smug:

nshuman likes this.
  16. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Wow that's cool. Would love to hear a demo of bass without so much distortion. I owned a Chameleon and really wanted a on/off footswitch. This has that.

17. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    He's building me a v1.1 P15 :) Then I'll just do P15 > YBA Power Amp In ;)

200 watt B-15 sound ;)

18. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    My boner?

19. I'm really digging this. Seems similar in operation to the chameleon, but to my ears a little more convincing and bass-friendly (based on the videos). I might just have to pull the trigger on this one. Also I'm surprised at how much I liked the demo w/ acoustic guitar.

20. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I kinda lol at the interest in flat cabs that don't color your sound, then getting a pedal to do colorful cab sim.

I get it. It makes the FOH vs. cab sound on stage more closely resemble each other.