1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD EHX Bass Preacher

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregoire1, Jan 22, 2017.

1. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    So, I'm kinda new to compressors, but I've read a lot. I tried a $30 guitar compressor but it couldn't handle the gain from even my passive bass (unpleasant distortion), then tried the Xvive bass Squeezer, but it was defective out of the box, so I ordered the EHX Bass Preacher.
    My initial impression is, it's very subtle. Even with the sustain cranked, it never really squishes much and the hiss isn't too loud to me. I can't tell much difference between the 3 toggle settings (fast-med-slow), And it easily handles my input level...

But...

I use a GK 400rb gained to the edge of roar, and this compressor, even though it's the first pedal in my chain, and BEFORE the amp, tames the GK.
    How does it cancel my GK growl even though it's before my amp? Maybe I don't really like compressors?

Thoughts?

2. Comps are great tools, but may not be one you need. GK amps when pushed a bit already provide a bit of compression, you may be starving it with the comp. Do you have the output set for Unity or a bit of boost?

3. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    It's set to unity-gain....maybe I should put it in the effects loop? Seems like a weird place to put a compressor. I really want to like it.