NPD: Fairfield Modèle B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cataract, Jan 22, 2018.

1. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Been GASing for a Barbershop since forever ago, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try one out for (fairly) cheap! With my board being 100% full, the Modèle B footprint is just beyond perfect.
    image.jpeg
    Gotta say it's a bit nerve wracking thinking there's no way to turn this thing off! Fingers crossed it's a keeper.

2. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    you can put it in a loop...

smperry and cataract like this.
  3. Peke

Peke

Jun 7, 2008
    Pargas, Finland
    I bought mine few months ago without hearing/testing it first. It's a keeper!

BrentSimons and cataract like this.
  4. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    It’s a subtle sweetener. I think you’ll like it.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now...might just happen as I'd quite like a 1590 only mini set.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    cataract likes this.
  6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    cataract likes this.
  7. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    @vivaknoxvegas Still haven't plugged it in-- planning on giving it a go in a couple of hours though! Updates to come.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  8. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    uuuugggh test driving’s been postponed, forgot I made plans with some old friends— off all day tomorrow so I’ll DEFINITELY put some time on the Barbershop then..
    Good news is that the velcro ties I ordered were just delivered, so now I can set up my board properly. Where in your chain did you run the B, @vivaknoxvegas ? I’m thinking of having it second in mine, just after my V2 Fifth Gear.. open to any and all suggestions though!

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    It was my first drive pedal I believe, after tuner and OC2.

cataract likes this.
  10. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Alright, so I turned my coffee table into a makeshift pedalboard—
    AAC955C6-1526-4A43-9071-BF524A7536BE.jpeg
    I ran the Barbershop into a selection of my most recent purchases and HOLY CRAP I was not expecting this thing to make my solid state amp sound like a friggin’ tube amp..
    Magical. Can’t wait to run it into the rest of my setup (sooooon!)

BrentSimons, petrus61 and Rocksolid like this.
  11. I run mine on a board that I mainly use with IEM only, and it certainly gives that nice break up of a tube amp when set correctly.

Nice purchase!

cataract likes this.
  12. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    I’m still amazed at how great this little box sounds, even all by itself. I haven’t locked down a setting yet, care to share yours? I also haven’t messed with the internal tone switch..

13. Chances are good you won’t wanna turn it off anyway :)

If I ever get another, it’ll be a modele B.

cataract likes this.
  14. My setting was everything more or less at noon or above, with Sag a hair below noon. Depends on the input signal.

cataract likes this.
  15. Input gain and and how heavy you dig in has such an impact on this box. Depending on which bass I'm using drive is anywhere between 10 & 2 o'clock, Sag around 3 o'clock.

cataract likes this.
  16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    One of my favorite pedals ever.

Peke and cataract like this.
  17. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    Feeling the same way. I’m digging how sensitive to touch it is, it’s seriously reminding me of the good old no effects / bass into high gain SVT days! Wondering if I should pick up a regular model or if the B will do.
    Fairfield Circuitry is definitely fully on my radar now!

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just picked one up. What's the consensus on the tone "jumper" configuration?

Riis

19. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Doubt there will be consensus on this since it depends on your bass, your other pedals, your amp and your tone preferences; I keep mine in the HF rolloff position since my amp has a tweeter and I like this better then rolling off the treble on the amp.

Zooberwerx and cataract like this.
  20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thank you. I trial'd it in both configurations and have the same impression. I was able to mimic the roll-off with a Broughton LPF (upstream) set @ 4-5 khz...close but not the same. The Modele B really warms-up my Epifani SS head.

Riis

cataract likes this.