1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD - Fishman Fluence Bass Soapbars

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DistortedBass, Jan 24, 2019.

1. DistortedBass

DistortedBass Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    Here is my review and demo on these new monsters. I really think Fishman came up with as option rich a preamp package as i've ever seen with a ton of variety in tones. I like that they sound unique and don't seem to be a copy of another trendy tone or pickup. I'll leave the rest of the blabbing for the video!

2. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Added some DI samples to the video for download

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Ha, I think it was 8 months back that I was moaning about the fact that they hadn't made these for bass yet.
    Good to see that they obeyed me :woot:

>> my post about Fluence <<

GlassToMouth and DistortedBass like this.
  4. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    If I had more scratch, I'd seriously think about these. Love the video too.

DistortedBass likes this.
  5. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    Can't find a weight spec? I guess they are about the same as any dual coil ceramic magnet pickup?

6. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Thanks for the kind words and checking it out!

7. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    I'm not able to find any info on weight either, but I would suspect you're correct.

8. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Well both the review of the Schecter and pickups are great aside from the amazing playing, they're very well thought out and thoroughly demonstrated. I really wish most reviews were like yours.

Phil60, congalocke and DistortedBass like this.
  9. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Again, I really appreciate that. I'm doing the other 2019 basses from Schecter, so i'll have the new Riot series, the new Jazz and a feature on the CS series P and J from EMG coming up shortly if you are into their other new items for this year.

10. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Well you can probably tell from the profile picture , that I'm a fan of Schecter's. In fact it was how I found the video originally. They certainly seem to have the feature and quality thing cornered for the price point. I originally was going to get a riot before I found my Stiletto, so I'm excited to see those.

11. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    I would agree. I think the basses they are putting out now are the best they've done. The new Riot basses are gorgeous. Burl tops with ash bodies. The have the PCSX and JCSX EMG sets in them. Apparently they had EMG match the best set and preamp for the bass, and ran with it. EMG is really hyped on these new sets, so i'm psyched to check them out. Nice Stiletto ya got there!

12. Well done review, impressive playing...
    I look forward to purchasing a set when they start selling them.

13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Are you running that bass through the Tech21 DP pedal? Never heard a bass sound like that out of the box. Great playing man!
    Rock on.

14. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan

15. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    I am using the Dug, but in more of a preamp kind of setting. Not really extreme settings. If you're looking to really get into the tone, there are DI files linked in the description. Thanks for playing props!

bass40hz likes this.
  16. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

Hi!
    I did get a chance to try out a Schecter SLS Elite, with the Fluence pickups. Full disclosure: I was hoping the Fluence would be a Sims-killer, a cheaper and more importantly, less intrusive way to get P, Jazz and MM on the same bass. Not quite... I had a chance to play the Sarzo and, while I fully understand the differences in the instruments, the Sarzo managed to get more 'character' on the P and MM sounds than the Fluence. Overall, to me, the Fluence sounded more "hi-fi", while the Sims had more warts(!?).
    Am I way off? Do any of you see the Fluence as a contender in the same field? Or are they the revolutionary, "we'll make your bass sound like no other pickup, cause we can" kind of product?

Just trying to get some opinions...

Diego

17. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    I don't get the feeling imitation is what they were after. It's definitely hi-fi, but they don't sounds exactly like any other pickups to me. It may be your thing or not. Something I discovered recently is that there are more options on the pickups themselves. You can cut the mid scoop from the slap tone, etc by bridging a connection, and you can change the coil that gets used when splitting. I haven't played with those options yet, but maybe it would help you get closer to what you are after

diegom likes this.
  18. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I have a Sarzo, no comparison in it and the SLS...I do share your opinion on the SLS sounding more hi-fi where the SIMS can get more woody and wooly if thats your thing. My personal favorite setting for my Sarzo is MM at the neck and P at the bridge. Lots of growl and lot of mids.
    Rock on.

DistortedBass and diegom like this.
  19. Tyler Romeo

Tyler Romeo

May 3, 2019
    New Jersey
    I'm new to this forum and all the ins and outs, but I'm wondering if I could fit a set of these into an existing rout for 4 string EMG 35's. I can't find dimensions anywhere online so I was hoping somebody could help me out.

20. BrianCIDC

BrianCIDC

Jul 10, 2019
    DFW
    The five string set is 4" by 1.5". I 'think' the fours are the same as the back of the cases have all four options listed (4 string neck, 4 string bridge, 5 string neck and 5 string bridge) and one will be marked.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021