1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD: Fuzz Dog's Sunny-T Extreme DIY Kit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I've finally assembled this diy kit from Fuzz Dog.
    I was driven to this pedal from the demos that I've seen of the EQD Acapulco Gold, and I always loved the sound of this massive distortion that tries to recreate the drive of the Sunn Model-T. But the price and the simple and somehow limited functionality of the EDQ pedal has kept me from getting one to try it on bass.
    But then I found out about this new kit (they have the simple kit for sale as well) that is based on the same Sunn Model-T circuit but it adds new features like gain, tone and body. This body knob is based on their Big Muff mid shift that they added to make this pedal more versatile.
    It's a relatively simple kit to assemble, and I did it this weekend but I only had the oportunity to really try it yesterday night.
    Man, this thing is massive! Sounds so huge and sharp! Like it cuts through anything and leaves nothing intact.
    It's really great sounding and it brings a new type of drive that I felt that I lacked. It's a high gain distortion, almost fuzzy, like a massive wall of dirt. It more mid oriented, and when I truned it on, I felt it lost a bit of low end, but then so does the Acapulco. But the tone knob allowed me to correct this and set it to my personal liking. The body control is great. Fully counter-clockwise, it gives a mid scoop that makes the drive more velvety, almost like a muff. When you start turning it clockwise and those mids start to get in, it sounds more crunchier and razor sharp.
    It's a pedal to set loud and to destroy whatever comes in your way. I can't wait to try it with my band. I think it will drive my guitar player crazy.
    Here's the picture with my amazing graphic artwork. ;)

IMG_20171114_120642.jpg

cataract, bassbrad, Fuzzonaut and 2 others like this.
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well damn man, I thought my dirt GAS was extinguished for now.....how much to build me one?!?! ;) like, seriously!

Nunovsky likes this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Here is a soundclip that I made. I used my Epiphone Jack Casady with my GK MB Fusion 500 and Fender Rumble V3 112. I used a Rowin looper to record a Black Sabbath riff and then into my Boss LS-2 with the Sunny-T on loop A and dry signal on loop B. I recorded with the external mic of my Tascam DP008 Ex.
    In the begining I only use the sound of the Sunny-T with everything at 12 and I play with the knobs. In the end I add a bit of the dry signal to fatten up the sound. I really like this setting and I end with the volume at 12, the gain at 3, the tone at 9 and the body at 1.
    I hope you like it.

4. Dig those bronze Knobbies

Nunovsky likes this.