NPD - Fuzzrocious BDPG

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Apr 10, 2016.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    image.jpeg I just snagged this little beast in a partial trade/sale transaction. So, of course I ran home to plug it in. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first, but i think I've got it sorted now. No manual or labels on anything does make for a bit of a hunt but thanks to the internet, answers aren't that hidden.

First run with it was into my Demeter VTBP M 800 D > Barefaced Two10 cab with my J bass. My impressions are that small dial moves make a big change. Getting the tone over noon is more bass than I want or need, but it's enough to make the solo bridge pickup on my Jazz a mean metal machine. I was impressed at how it adds just enough grind and color to pop out (when playing along with the stereo) vs. the clean tone. It isn't radically dirty, but enough. A little goes a long way.

I'm going to have fun with this beast. I guess they weren't terribly popular based on them being discontinued, and the fact that only a dozen were ordered out of the final production run (stated in a thread here).

2. yaksonator

yaksonator

Apr 16, 2011
    Carthage, MO
    Put a drive in front of it... I use it for all of my dirty tones. Like nothing else out there.

SirMjac28 and rratajski like this.
  3. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Tried a bit of that. You can see my board in the background. So far, I liked it best alone, but I can see/hear I might find good stuff mixing and matching :)

gregmon79 and rratajski like this.
  4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    We're just an email away if you need to ask any questions. Enjoy the pedal!

5. Sweet find, luv my 2 BDPGs. My etched v1 is on my small rock board adding grit and character and the V2 is on my main board as my full on drive verging on feedback.

I also have a mid run Submarine that I use a lot for recording.

monsterthompson likes this.
  6. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    wow. this could kick the BBBOD off my board.

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    congrats on that particular beautiful specimen.
    I find it harder and harder to turn mine off.

I have the rerun with additional master vol and my knobs are, as i understand it 'pre, post, tone and master' (from left to right)
    That tonestack of the tone knob ist simply the best EQ i have anywhere in my chain and it does it all on a few mm of one single knob.

One of my favourites is a big muff with rather harsh settings on the tone knob into the BDPG with more bass EQed. boom.

rratajski and monsterthompson like this.
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    You going straight in with a passive bass? I found it to sound VERY different with a passive bass straight in vs. having a buffer pedal before it. So much so that I thought mine was faulty when I first tested it, I could only get it to sound good with another pedal in front... But then it did sound very good indeed!

9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Ran it with a passive J and liked it. Also tried it with the OBP pre equipped Spector I have. Pretty nice.

What's the deal with a the later versions with the extra volume knob? Isn't the pre and master on the three knob enough?

10. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Some people wanted to "clean up" the sound or have more volume, so we added a boost circuit.

monsterthompson likes this.
  11. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Ah. I'm happy with the 3 knobs.

What a gem of a pedal. I remember looking at it a while back and not "getting it" based on the clips. Now that I have it, I get it. Running it into my very clean and polite amp makes just the right amount of difference. A little warmth and compression, but still fairly transparent and dynamic. I'd never been thrilled with the J bridge pickup before, but this changes the game. Bravo.

rratajski and JBNeedsBeer like this.
  12. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    So glad your digging it man! It is a gem of a pedal. Works wonders with the passive J bass, I agree.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I wish I could nab one still one of the best pedals I had.

rratajski likes this.
  14. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    This. I was never super impressed with the clips of the pedal. As soon as Ryan let me toy with one at a pedal expo in Brooklyn, I knew I had to have one. The descriptions of it are all spot on, but they don't cover how it affects the feel and heft of your tone. It is so cool.

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    I've been on the lookout for one too

16. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Played around with the P bass and Darkglass compressor through the Demeter and Barefaced 210. The pedal certainly responds in a different fashion. I found the gain worked better lower. I also found the EQ/tone doing different things. Lower gain with bigger bass settings (clockwise) worked best and gave a smooth vintage/Motown vibe. The P wasn't doing it for me in more rock/heavy sounds, like the J had been. The J has more bite and snarl. The P just got congested at higher gain.

Placement of the comp before/after was tricky. It has a wet/dry blend and level and it rolls off some highs, so it gets dark with the BDPG. Still figuring things. With the P, the comp may not be needed. Still need to try with my less voiced cabs.

Gonna try running my Enabler into it soon.

andrew likes this.
  17. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Tried running a hot Enabler signal into the pedal. I didn't care for the distortion generated. Moved the Enabler to later in the chain to level out the output when changing the gain and volume on the BDPG.

18. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    And how did that work out?

19. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Better. I find I often like the lower gain settings with the eq closer to noon or higher. However, it's tough to keep unity gain. The enabler is really more for a level boost than eq or tone.

20. I wonder if Ryan could shoe horn the make up gain circuit in the smaller box version? I might even go for that mod on my older BDPG.

Attached Files: