NPD - Joyo California Sound with audio

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scuzzy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Got this for Christmas, been playing around with it along with the American sound. They both do their own thing, and do it pretty well. I have landed on the American Sound doing a mild overdrive that is softer. The California has a bit more treble and bite. Both are very touch sensitive, breaking up the more you push them. I recorded a sample. Played on my Ovation Magnum III bass into pedal chain. Only effects used on recording are Joyo Dyna compressor, Donner boost killer, then the american or california sound, SVT settings on a Sansamp deluxe bddi. ran straight into my presonus interface with no editing in the software.

The 3 riffs are as follows. Clean, American, California.

Enjoy. Pardon the sorry pick-style. I'm learning.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    filler83 and GentProvocateur like this.
  2. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Nice! thanks for recording those comparisons. Could you describe the difference in the bass control between the two? I use an American Sound and wish the bass control was a little more tight and punchy, I feel like it's loose and undefined

3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I get punch from tweaking the mid and the voice/tone knob. I do run compressors in front though, as well. The bass never really added punch for me.

GentProvocateur likes this.
  4. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Great sounds and I dug your player. The overdriven tone at the end was very cool.

5. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Thanks! I intend to go for the British sound next. May even sell off my SansAmp bass driver deluxe if it works as well as the other two.

alack likes this.
  6. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Sounds like we have very similar experiences then

scuzzy likes this.
  7. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I was just checking those pedals out on Amazon. $35? Seems cheap enough just to try one. If you don't like it, gift it to a friend.

GentProvocateur and scuzzy like this.
  8. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida

Those "voice" and "mid" controls make this very tempting.

johnk_10 and GentProvocateur like this.
  9. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    nice

10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    That really is the key to getting these things dialed in.

11. I love the Cali Sound, mine has seemingly found a permanent spot adding grit to my Hohner Planet\Clavinet duo and Wurlizer.

scuzzy likes this.
  12. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    It’s based on Fender tube amps, so it’s saggy because they’re saggy.

The California is a lot darker and bassier IMO, and the Joyo Orange Juice is another keeper - I’d say it has a tighter feeling low end than the California, but both more so than the American. Those are the only three I have experience with, I own all three.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    cheechi, scuzzy and GentProvocateur like this.
  13. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    THANK YOU!

BillMason likes this.
  14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Great synopsis. I love my 2 for what they do. If I give the American sound a punchy signal, it will maintain it, but it won't create one that isn't there. But it really reproduces a round tube warmth very well. I do not like the more overdriven sound much. The California does higher gain much better, imo.

BillMason likes this.
  15. mcca

mcca

Dec 24, 2014
    Great, man! I'm on the verge on getting a Magnum III and would like to hear more clips!

16. This is a great comparison. The American & Cali, for different reasons, are great bass preamps and/or od pedals.

I can add owning all 4 that the British & AC are great for guitar but I don't like them on bass. If you need a specific vintage british sound, There's 100 Marshall pedals and the Wampler plexi based/clones are better than the British for bass. I got mine to get a Lemmy sound without a Ric, and the Joyo Plexi Drive did it better for me. I really wanted a pink pedal on my board too.

And to add, the Behringer V tone bass whatever its name is, is a $30 clone of the VT Bass and has a DI out. So if you wanted the whole set of Tech 21 character series clones, this would complete it.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021