1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD: Mesa V-Twin should resolve neighbor and home recording issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I recently learned that my kindly neighbor had been quietly enduring the lows from my Mesa rig in her house for almost two years :( I DO NOT want to be “that guy,” so I have retired that rig from home use—including micing for home recording—until I can look into some serious soundproofing. Sheltering in place doesn’t have many upsides, but I had at least hoped to make the most of the opportunities it presented for rocking out and recording. My Peavey rig still sounds good at a more acceptable volume (top cab only now) …
    665C159F-E121-470A-883A-2C1DB4E99CE8.jpeg

… but I miss that tube-y Mesa goodness; and the fairly popular D.I. pedal I have had for a while now has never really done it for me through headphones. What to do?

Reverb to the rescue!
    C8F563EB-68CA-4BD6-A29A-1642CC6F42BA.jpeg

A year or so of twiddling knobs on that D.I. pedal never got me close to my sound. The Mesa V-Twin got me there in minutes! I got it anticipating it would work well with guitar, and hoping it would work well enough with bass, but I haven’t even gotten around to plugging a guitar into this burly box yet! This comes really close to what I have been missing. Hopefully I will have the pants-flapping rig back in rotation by this fall, but this makes headphones and going direct way more appealing than they were yesterday.

The Mesa rig’s time will come …
    5EDEB5E0-2C98-4947-8601-A3C0ECFBD73F.jpeg

… but home recording and tube-y goodness won’t have to wait.

catcauphonic likes this.
  2. never-enough

never-enough

Oct 27, 2019
    Interesting!
    I have had one for over 20years and I don’t recall ever plugging a bass into it.
    I’ve always used mine for guitar, either into the front of an amp or as a stand-alone preamp.

Experiment with trying different tubes in yours, I did and it made a big difference.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  3. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Try plugging a bass into yours and you’ve got a deal :bassist:

4. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I’ve wondered how these would work on bass; I have a few guitar pedals and rack units that I thought would sound good on bass and then did not reproduce all the lows. Does it use a wall wart, or is it 110v? IEC?

5. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    12v wall wart. I have used it only with headphones at home (it has a headphone out), but when I tried one at a store a while back it sounded good in front of an amplifier. I have had the Mesa V-1 Bottle Rocket for a while and I think that makes more sense in front of an amplifier for me, but for phones and going direct, this will be tough to beat. I don’t notice any real loss of lows with the V-1, or the “clean” or “solo” channel on the V-Twin; the “blues” channel seems to cut both highs and lows. Looking at how this pedal is set up, I don’t think it’s really designed to switch between “clean” and “blues” in a live setting; set one or the other how you like, then kick it over to “solo” to make it scream. The “clean” channel gets pleasingly gritty without a ton of prompting.

cavemanbass likes this.
  6. never-enough

never-enough

Oct 27, 2019
    I had mine modded by the fine folks at Mesa Boogie.

they replaced the push button that selects between the clean and blues channels with a stomp switch.

they also added a separate gain control for the solo channel so that I could better balance it with the other two modes.

It does in fact run off a 12v wall wart style power supply, but take note that it is 12vAC, not DC.

CA5E4365-E39B-4A4A-9490-8D6BD4A148CF.jpeg

7. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    That’s a good mod.

8. never-enough

never-enough

Oct 27, 2019
    I’ve been using mine for home practice lately for guitar so it’s all set up and ready to go. Mixer/headphone output into a mic pre and mixer into my studio monitors.
    I just plugged my jazz bass into it and played for a bit, it does sound pretty dang good for bass! I was really surprised, I didn’t even turn any knobs from where I had them set for playing guitar!

cavemanbass and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  9. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    MAN I loved this pedal when i played guitar; I should try to find one again for bass duty, when I have some extra cash.

10. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I finally plugged a guitar into this thing and liked it, but I think I like it even better for bass, at least through headphones.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021