NPD: Mesa V1 Bottle Rocket—Not a Box of Angry Bees

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Riff Ranger, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    5C2C3F64-A265-43BF-8137-FF3F66CFDCFA.jpeg
    (Yes, I would probably benefit from a pedalboard, but this would eat a ton of real estate, anyway.)

As my signature suggests, I like dirty bass. However, like pretty much anybody on this forum, I like it a particular way. I wish I could remember who to credit with recently elucidating this experience, but I have looked into a number of pedals, listened to the demos, liked what I heard, had them delivered, and found that they all sound like boxes of angry bees by the time they get into my hands. Fortunately, I hadn’t repeated this process too many times before trying my usual approach of throwing a bunch of Boogie and tubes at my problems. When I saw this Mesa V1 Bottle Rocket at a good price, I pounced (and never bothered listening to demos). I’m glad I did (and didn’t).

I already get a pleasing overdrive with my hot P basses and dimed Night Owl Industries Oscar tube preamp slamming the power tubes through the effects loop of my Mesa Buster all-tube combo, but I wanted similar touch-sensitive, non-irritated-insect-sounding results from my Gallien-Krueger-Schroeder setup and with my ATKs, as well as the ability to get a bit dirtier with any setup. I think I finally have the solution.

Some of the pots crackle while adjusting settings, but once I have them dialed in, the pedal adds no undesirable noise. I haven’t really pushed the thing, and might never bother; a little goes a long way here. I think I’m set on this front \m/

Just look at the glow of those tubes!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Tricaptain, bassbrad and FilterFunk like this.
  2. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    Right Hear (...it's a pun. Use your ears!). ;D
    I'm just a user/customer that plays gigs. I am not professionally affiliated with any vendor, etc.
    Pardons for the necro-reply here, but just to offer... I love mine! I'd had one a few years back, sold it in a modest gear purge... and got another! I keep toying with selling it on occasion, but am in no rush to really part with it. Seriously, REALLY cool pedal. Cheers!

\m/, :D ,\m/

3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. Although I no longer have it, I do remember my former Bottle Rocket fondly. This thread about it might interest you:

How to use the Mesa Boogie V-1 Bottle Rocket as a clean preamp for bass (long post)

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  4. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    I'm just a user/customer that plays gigs. I am not professionally affiliated with any vendor, etc.
    Hey, what's shakin'?! Oh, TOTALLY - I saw this post a while back (and it's AWESOME!). I actually use the Bottle Rocket as a clean preamp whenever I have it set up! Having owned the Mesa/Boogie 400+ for a LONG while (an amp I TRULY, truly loved and miss), making the initial switch back to solid state amps made me want to attempt some kind of tube preamp setup... and that's where the Bottle Rocket (and also, my Budda Phatman) pedal(s) came in to play. I'd initially tried to get more drive out of it, but I really loved the idea of having it clean, and sometimes 'at the edge of breakup', to offer an even more dynamic, responsive playing experience.

Thanks for sharing, either way! Cheers!

Snaxster likes this.
  5. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    What up, man! One thing I'd tried to do was have some of my pedals (assuming those pedals are 'always on') mounted either sitting on my amp head, or affixed (Velcro, bungee, whichever) to a rack setup. OH! Shout out to the Buster 200! I think it's actually the direct 'half' of the 400+. I've had both... I LOVED them both.

In fact, I'd built a wood housing for the Buster head so that I could use it with separate cab configurations. Seriously, AMAZING amps. My only complaint about the Buster 210 was the inevitable 'lean' toward one side when I was rolling it around. That's actually what initially prompted the idea of me building the housing. I figured, if I was gonna have this much trouble trying to just roll it, I may as well roll it on a (rectangular) rolling cab. Sometimes, I'd upgraded the casters on my various cabs throughout the years with ones I'd find from Home Depot/Lowes.

I sold the Buster a long while back, but still actually have the wooden housing I'd built for it! Silly, I know, but in my mind, I'm thinking that one day I'll find another Buster to nestle in it. Meanwhile, I have my Mesa D800+. MIIIGHT be my all-time favorite amp. Like, ever.
    :p

Anyways, shutting up now. Cheers!

6. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
  7. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    No apologies necessary. If you hadn't spoken up, nobody ever would have seen it, haha.

I don't find the nearly-cubic Buster 15 terribly awkward to move, only very heavy for its size. Fortunately, it sounds heavy. The guy who sold it to me (cool guy, met him through TalkBass) described it as half a 400, and I like to hear that confirmed. And also good to hear that you think the D800+ is all that, because if I get another amp any time soon, that's the one I'll get. We'll see once I bump my (solid state) Peavey and (tube) Mesa rigs up from 1x15 each to 2x15 each, bwahaha.

Tricaptain likes this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Interesting read. My understanding is the OD circuit in the Titan and BB750 are basically the Bottle Rocket. I believe one (or more) of the Mesa guitar amps also uses the Bottle Rocket circuit.

Whether this is 100% accurate or not, my experience with the OD circuit in my Titan is consistent with what you wrote about the Bottle Rocket. I.E. the OD circuit seems to have quite a bit of baked in EQ: a bit of boost in the low mids, a bit of a dip in the low bass, and rolled off highs. Luckily the Titan has two channels so I can set one channel up for OD and one channel for clean. On the positive side, I think the baked in EQ is why the result distortion does not sound like a box of angry bees.

I like running the Titan's OD circuit just below the point of breakup. This makes the amp feel even more tubey and organic, as the sound is a bit compressed and bloomy more like a pushed tube amp. I think setting up the Bottle Rocket like this would be useful with the Buster, which many have described as a very fast and sort of a solid state sounding. YMMV.

9. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    Oh, TOTALLY. I once played multiple amps I'd had at the time simultaneously - if for nothing else, just because I 'could'... Mesa 400+ connected to a Mesa 215 4ohm Diesel and a 4ohm Peavey 3620 (my favorite cab of ALL TIME, just that it's like 130lbs... but it's 2x10s and 2x18s in one VERY tall cab) running at 2 ohms, an M6 Carbine running a Diesel 1516 (6", 10" and a 15"), and a Markbass array using a Little Mark II and Little Mark III, each with a pair of 2x10 cabs for four 4x10 cabs. Absolutely unnecessary from a practical standpoint... ABSOLUTELY necessary from an over-the-top "do it because you can; if even just once" standpoint.

No, this was NOT at a gig - this was at my house. I wish it were on a stage, though... to move that kind of air, WOW! Still, even in my house (like I needed a reminder as to why I'm a bassist)... BOY, was it ever fun.

\m/, (*o*) ,\m/

Wito and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  10. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    OH! I totally just realized... you have the rectangular combo amp version, I think! I had the 2x10 wedge... it had a NASTY lean to one side if you weren't careful navigating bumps and undulations in any flooring you're negotiating...

Anyway, man. This chat is making me wanna get another! Seriously, though... from a functional and 'overall' standpoint, the D800+ (for me) is a serious win.

Cheers, man!

11. Riff Ranger

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I generally keep the gain around 9:00, bass and treble around 12:30, and the output around 11:00. This more or less retains the core sound of my Buster while adding enough distortion to … sound distorted. I have sold the Gallien-Krueger-Schroeder since first posting about the V-1; the jury’s still out on how it gets along with the solid state Peavey rig.

Wasnex likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021