1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD - Mike Inez Fishman Fluence

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Michael J Toren, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Michael J Toren

Michael J Toren Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Los Angeles
    I am a huge Mike Inez fan (Alice in Chains/Ozzy). I saw the new pickup at the last NAMM show and played one of his basses that they had on display in the Fishman booth. Loved the sound.

Mike Inez Legacy Series Pickups - Fishman

The downer on the new pickup is that the form factor is a soapbar and not what the majority of the basses out there use (J, P or MM) so a drop in replacement in most basses is not possible. I was able to pickup a 90s Warwick Streamer Pro-M which is similar to the basses he is now using and would support the pickup with minimal mods. A friend and I 3-D printed an adapter for the new pickup.

upload_2020-3-12_18-0-28.png

The control layout of the Warwick Pro-M is perfect for the 2-band preamp that Fishman supplies.

upload_2020-3-12_17-58-32.png

The finished product needs new knobs but sounds awesome.

upload_2020-3-12_18-8-47.png

There is a pull switch on the volume control that allows you to switch between Mike's voice (based on his Warwick Moon Bass) and the standard Fishman voice. Both sound great and I am really impressed by the consistency of the pickup. All the notes are even and full.

Attached Files:

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Nice work!

Michael J Toren likes this.
  3. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    Really clever to avoid filling the cavity with the 3d printed mount. Good job, looks nice too. And you can always go back if the need be.

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    nice! I just saw the product video for these pickups, and dang it sounds great!

5. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    I’m really interested in this. How would you describe the sound?

6. Michael J Toren

Michael J Toren Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2019
    Los Angeles
    I love the sound. It is punchy and the notes are very even across the range. You get some really great grit using a pick, which I feel it gets really close to the AIC sound. The note definition it provides also gives a great slap sound and with finger style it never seems to gets muddy. The active bass and treble in the preamp can help boost the EQ if you need it (I add a touch of bass but leave the treble at the detent).

There are some things to consider however. The pickup placement and the bass you would put it in may affect the tone. The Warwick that I put the pickup in already sounded great to begin with and the placement is really close to where they put the pickup in Mike's new basses. I like it enough to plan on trying the 2 pickup version on my Fender Modern Player (HH).

7. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    That sounds AWESOME! You bass turned cool as well!

Now I want a set I’ve been really impressed by the fishman sound in general but these sound even better foe me. AIC type tones are kinda my holy grail !

Now I just need a dual soap bar bass ......

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    nice install work! I haven't heard about these, I love the tone in those videos.

Thanks for sharing!

9. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Supposedly inside there’s a reversed precision pickup but it sounds quite different.