1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD: Mooer Radar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I've been looking for a nice and affordable cab sim pedal for a while and since Mooer released the Radar I sent for one and now here it is.
    I haven't tried it on yet but it's tiny but has some cool features like power amp option, cab with mic selection and positioning and eq. And it's very intuitive to use.
    I only wish it had more bass cab options.
    Here's the picture. For you box lovers, this is a big box for such a small pedal... IMG_20171206_134312.

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    It'll load IRs, though, right?

Curious to hear your impressions. I'm very happy with the Two Notes C.A.B., but a much smaller cab sim would be appealing if the sonics are right.

Driven Crane, Nunovsky and ppiluk like this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Ok. I've tried the Radar and it looks like this one will be a keeper. I used the headphones out of the radar. Plugged my Mesaboogie Subway D.I. and my Carcosa because it's the fuzz that sounds thinner in the PA compared to the great sound that comes from my rig. So the signal was Carcosa>Subway>Radar.
    The screen is well lit, the letters are a bit small but I can read with no problems and it's simple and intuitive to navigate among the menus.
    It has 3 editable menus for each preset: power amp, cab and eq. The eq section is awesome on its own. You have graphic eq or parametic, with hpf and lpf options.
    Like I said, it has few bass cabs compared to the ton of options of guitar cabs. First thing when I tried it on was that I needed to regulate the volume because it was bellow unity, but no problem because it has lots of volume to ad.
    Then I tried the bass cab presets. Some of the cabs sound muffled and superbassy, and it lost definition when playing. But when you tweak with the options available you can regulate almost anything. Just by selecting the type of mic and the positioning gets you a lot of changes in the tone. And then the eq helps fine tune what you want to achieve.
    I ended up using a SVT 8x10 model, messed up with the power amp valves and input, changed a bit the eq and it sounded great. The Carcosa finally sounded like a proper fuzz.
    I haven't tried any other cab sim before, but this one gives a lot of options for the 120 euros new that I paid for it.
    Only one thing: Is there any IR profiles for diferent cabs available online for free? I'd really like to try to use some diferent cab models.

4. Have you tried any of the guitar cabs in it? Sometimes there's some that works great with bass.

5. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    this looks interesting -- i see it doesn't have a DI, though. So do you just run it to a preamp pedal use your amp DI?

6. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Yes, as stated in post 3:

zapped777 and Crazy Otto like this.
  7. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    I overlooked that, thanks :bag:

SunnBass likes this.
  8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    However, the 1/4" can be wired for both balanced and unbalanced operation IIRC. A simple 1/4" TRS to XLR adapter will do the trick. I'm assuming, though, that this is a line level output from the RADAR, so be aware that this may be VERY hot for a standard MIC input strip, and may need significant amounts of pad (-20db) to keep from overdriving the input.

One missing feature on the radar would be a DRY OUT, so that you could put this in an amps insert/fx loop to return to your preamp (when using a traditional amp/cab bass rig), while sending the processed cab sim output to the PA. I'd gladly swap the headphone output for this feature (or just a larger pedal). This is one reason why I'm interested in the NUX "Solid Studio" pedal (not yet released to market).

@Nunovsky, free cabinet impulses in the form of .wav files for bass cabinets may be difficult to come by for free. However, you can find some very inexpensive bass cab IRs from Ownhammer, Redwirez, 3 Sigma, Dr. Bonkers, and perhaps some others. Personally, I've found the Ownhammer AMPG bass cabinet collection well worth the investment.

9. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Interesting. Do you have to perform the mod yourself? I just read on the mooer website that the output is a 1/4 mono. It would definitely tempt me more if there was a way to use it as a DI.

10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Curious about this box.

LSMFT6 likes this.
  11. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's not a "mod" to the box. You just have to use one cable or the other (TS unbalanced guitar cable or TRS balanced 1/4" to XLR adapter).

From the RADAR Manual

upload_2017-12-7_13-49-43.

Nunovsky likes this.
  12. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I was just about to talk about that but with the picture is more clear.
    The thing that I wish this pedal had was a direct out uneffected to send to the amp. But I was thinking of using it more to record direct or using for an ampless gig after the preamp. Another way to use this is with a Royal Blood type of set to send the guitar sounds directly to the mixer and therefore I won't need to get a guitar amp just for it.

jimfist likes this.
  13. TheLowDown33

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    That's extremely useful. Hopefully the signal isn't too hot on the output side and it can be sent directly to the mixer.

Edit: Pulled up the manual, in one of the signal diagrams it shows guitar>pedalboard>Radar>mixer. Looks like it's designed to work as a pseudo-direct box.

Nunovsky likes this.
  14. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    The pedal has an output volume that can be set at will.

jimfist likes this.
  15. TheLowDown33

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Yep I read that after the fact. The one thing it's missing that *would* be really nice to have is a ground lift switch and a dry out to send to an amp for stage monitoring. No pun intended, its on my radar and I'm interested regardless.

Nunovsky likes this.
  16. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Wasn’t interested in this pedal at all before this thread, now it actually seems like a pretty cool little tool

17. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    The Radar is on your radar... ;)

ppiluk and TheLowDown33 like this.
  18. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    In the manual they propose another way to use the radar wich is to use the send out of the fx loop to the mixer.
    I don't know how that works. Does this bypasses the signal to the power amp of the amplifier or does it allow to send the signal from the preamp to the radar and still using the amp for monitoring?

19. You will use the preamp out on the amp or efx send, still use amp and cab on stage, but not needing to mic it.

Nunovsky likes this.
  20. Can this pedal be used simply as a para eq and hpf/lpf pedal by shutting off any cab sim?

Nunovsky likes this.