1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD: Mooer Radar

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Yes.

xrockstrongox likes this.
  2. bassgroover

bassgroover

Oct 6, 2008
    Nice to hear that you think It's a keeper :)

I've just picked mine up today, and have only played around with it for a couple of hours.
    It looks like it will be a keeper for me too.

Right now, my favorite is one of the guitar cabs.
    65DLX 1x12.
    Miced with MD421, C-edge 10, Distance 10 and No Poweramp or EQ.
    (I normally have two TKS-S112 live)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    jimfist and Nunovsky like this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I have to try that one.
    A lot of options in such a small box, don't you think?

4. bassgroover

bassgroover

Oct 6, 2008
    Yeah!
    I will be occupied until New years day, at least :D
    Think it hides a lot of settings to discover.

jimfist and Nunovsky like this.
  5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Really tempted to invest in one of these little versatile pedals.

Just went to Moeer's homepage and read the manual, a lot of really useful and highly adjustable features.

Especially keeping in mind you can load third party IR profiles the options almost becomes limitless.

No doubt this would prove a valuable tool when doing home recordings, which I do quite a lot, but also might be handy for instance for the LPF and EQ when just jamming with my drummer friend, which might eventually evolve into a regular band.

Also going to be priceless to have if I ever get gigging again or simply just as an addition to my put together headphone home practice setup, which really could be in need of some more EQ options and a cab simulator in order to obtain a tone that sounds more like a real amp and not just a bass played through a tube preamp without any EQ options and a headphone amp.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Nunovsky likes this.
  6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I got a question though:

For just a minimal faction more than what the Mooer Radar pedal cost I can get the DigiTech CabDryVR pedal.

I realize that those two pedals have different features and that overall the Radar offers more features than the CabDryVR.

They both use IR's and at the same sample depth and rate, but would there be any reason to believe that the basic sound quality, guess we can only really take the actual cab simulation into account since that is the feature they both have in common, coming out of the CabDryVR would be better in any way than that of the Radar?

In other words, looking past the fact that the CabDryVR works with two separate input and output channels, would there be anything that justifies paying a bit more for the DigiTech CabDryVR over the Mooer Radar, that overall has more features build in and for a slightly cheaper price?

jimfist likes this.
  7. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    I got one, mostly for home headphone practice...but I'm sure it will be useful for gigs too. Nice little box.

8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'd say that the main thing going for Digitech CabDryVR is the 2 channel/stereo operation and the Digitech brand being a very solid, well-known, and trusted company with a long history. Beyond that, if Mono operation is ok, on paper, the RADAR has a very impressive set of features for its price. Even without the IR loading, it is a fully programmable Graphic/Parametric EQ with presets, which is great and useful all by itself.

The RADAR is a fairly new product, and it may take a little time for the market to suss out everything out in terms of strengths and weaknesses. I agree 100% that 3rd party IR loading for bass (and guitar) is a great feature for home recording and for live, sending a cabinet emulated tone direct to the FOH PA system.

I've got my eye on the RADAR, but am holding out for just a short time until the NUX Solid Studio pedal is released to the market. Unsure of the street price, but it offers a slightly different set of features than either the CabDryVR or RADAR. According to NUX via their facebook page "AD/DA 32bit/88.2kHz , Resolution 2084samples, Latency:0.68ms, USB support 3rd party IRs( edit software under development)". That's an impressive latency spec there, and I'm curious as to what the RADAR has for a latency tech spec...haven't found one, but I'm sure it's under 2 msec.

The NUX pedal has a better compliment of I/O for interfacing: 1/4" (input, output/headphone, thru output), XLR DI out, input pad switch, Line/Speaker level switch (presumably for doing cabinet emulation post power amp). It's also much more of a "hands on" pedal with plenty of buttons, switches and knobs to select the cabinet type, power amp tube type, mic type, mic distance, Drive, Presence, and Master (level?).

Nunovsky likes this.
  9. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    For me the plus of the Radar is the easyness of use and the very intuitive display.
    I didn't know about the Nux but if you're into getting a nice cab sim at an affordable price, the Radar is what you're looking for. There are better but more pricey options and for what I presently need it's more than enough.
    But I'll keep an eye in that Nux for sure...

jimfist likes this.
  10. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    I have a quick question. Been messing around with this pedal at home with the Ampeg SVT 8x10 cab sim with the bass eq option at the end of my effects chain and using the headphone out. I noticed immediately that I'm not getting the amount of dirt out of it that I get when I go direct to my amp (Tone Hammer 500, which I have set clean with the gain at 0) and cab (Ampeg Portaflex 15). I assume I have to tweak a setting in the cab sim, but haven't been able to find one that gives me the amount of dirt I'm getting out of my amp, even with the power amp input on the sim dimed...anyone have any ideas? Should I be running a preamp before the Radar, since it only has a power amp sim?

11. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The RADAR is not a preamp or drive pedal of any kind. It is designed to be used after any preamp/dirt, and typically after all of your effects.

Nunovsky and Crazy Otto like this.
  12. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    yeah, I realize that -- just wondering why I'm not hearing my dirt as much through it as I do through my amp. Will try it with a preamp in front of it tonight.

jimfist likes this.
  13. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ahh. Oops, sorry. What is the signal chain going into the RADAR? Can you plug into your ToneHammer head after all of your effects and pull the loop SEND to go into the RADAR?

14. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    Dirt > Modulation > Compressor > Radar headphone out

15. jimfist

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    see edit to previous post re: using the tonehammer preamp section SEND to the RADAR

16. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    I have a Tone Hammer pedal, I'll try that in front of the Radar...the whole point is to go ampless when necessary :)

Nunovsky and jimfist like this.
  17. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    no preamp in front was the issue, sounds great now :)

Nunovsky and jimfist like this.
  18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Buddy of mine at church just picked one up and I heard it Sunday. Pretty impressive Musicman thru an SVT. For the money it's hard to beat.

wmmj, BassikLee and joppo like this.
  19. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    How low does the HPF go?

20. bassgroover

bassgroover

Oct 6, 2008
    First setting after off is 15Hz, then up in 5Hz increasements. (15, 20, 25, 30 etc.)