1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD: Peavey Dirty Dog

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phe, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Okay, I got this a while ago, but haven't been able to test it until today.

What a weird beast! Juan from Pedals and effects said that it's like RAT and a Metal Zone in one box. I have had both of those and this is nothing like those.

There seems to be plenty of low end, and the Crunch-side works as a grindy overdrive. The Solo-side befuddles me. It's kinda muddy, heaps of low end and it sounds like it has either octave down or clean blend. It's a really cool sound!
    If anybody has any info I would appreciate it!
    I know it's designed by James Brown of Amptweaker-fame when he worked for Peavey.

2. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Okay, nobody had any info, so I contacted the man himself! Ah, modern times, I can just e-mail the engineer of long forgotten distortion pedal! I'll include this information if it helps some poor bassist or guitarist, trying to find information on this awesome pedal.

Mr. Brown told me that the Dirty Dog wasn't based on any pre-existing distortion, but it was a pedal format of TransTube technology that mr. Brown had designed. It also had some tones from the Bandit TransTube amp.

Also: Dirty Dog was named after a band he was in at the time!

3. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Cool find Phe. I love Brown's designs and own a couple of the amptweakers. This one looks cool as hell. There's one on Reverb I am tempted to pick up, but probably will pass given it's size and weight. In either case, enjoy!!

4. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Thanks!
    It is quite big and heavy, but it's manageable. I can probably retire two pedals with this monster.

5. Frodolicious

Frodolicious Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Do you think the review from Pedals and effects is accurate?

6. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Yeah, but I think it still has more to offer. I don't think Juan found very good tones from the Crunch-channel, but I use it as my grind-y OD and Solo-channel as my distortion.

I also asked mr. Brown if the Solo-channel had some clean blend or something happening because there is a TON of low end there. You can kind of hear it on that Pedals and Effects video. But no, there is no clean blend or anything like that. He said there might be something wrong with mine or maybe it overloads with the low end from the bass. However I do not have any problem with that low end, be that it is kind of rumble-y.