1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD Pic: Mr. Rupert Reports For Weigh In. Lounsberry to the rescue?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lowendtech, Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

We shall see.
    I have high hopes and also a tempered temperament. I want a certain tube amp feel that weighs bugger all and fits in my pocket.
    I know, probably not coming.
    So,
    Is this a contender for consideration to commiserate my continuous conundrum?
    We shall see, indeed.
    image.

2. Nice looking

Lowendtech likes this.
  3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Bass and Guinness in the same pic!

Lowendtech and bholder like this.
  4. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    so, what's it like?

5. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

It’s ok but not quite what I was looking for.
    The Organ Grinder was though.

loopee likes this.
  6. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve got a Rupert.

It gives you a nice and very musical early 70s overdriven tube amp type sound that says “progrock” to my ears. But it’s still fairly subtle. It hangs mostly in the light to medium OD range. If you want something more dramatic, the Rupert isn’t your oyster. That said, I really like mine since nothing else I own gets quite that same sonic texture for me. Biggest drawback (IMO) is that Lounsberry pedals are all hand built by a very small company. So they’re pricey for what they are despite being very good at what they bring to the party.

Here’s their demo. People who were around in the early 70s will likely smile since that’s a bass sound they’ll recognize from that era. Conjures up (to me at least) fond memories of the sounds of the old Acoustic 360s and cranked Ampeg V4Bs.

loopee and johnk_10 like this.
  7. I had a chance to play one around Christmas. I really liked it. Fat and woolly sorta drive with good dynamic range. I think the above demo nails it.

8. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I was around back then so I know what you speak of.......I like it too but was wondering if it can get just a tad less raspy at lower gain. Was wondering about the Organ Grinder too which seems to be smoother.

9. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Yeah, I think the Organ Grinder would be best for me too

Lowendtech and 40Hz like this.