NPD: Radial content

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skyline_01, Jan 23, 2020.

1. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Been wanting a Radial Bassbone OD or V2 for a while now, and I just scored this in VGC on Reverb:

Radial OD.jpg

I switch between fretted and fretless live and had previously been using the Radial Bigshot I/O (a very well-made and useful tool BTW). My main goal with this upgrade was to gain the ability to better sculpt the tone of each instrument, and the other features (DI, effects loop, HPF, OD) will prove to be the icing on the cake. Tonight's band practice will be its first use - will update after that. :bassist:

Ba55Man1ac and BrentSimons like this.
  2. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Well, it's pretty killer, as I expected. EQ is very transparent and musical, and I was able to dial out a little of the higher mids in my practice rig that usually stand out with the G&L L2500 Tribute.

I didn't know what to expect from the OD but I dialed in a subtle but useful sound for our "heavier" music with the drive at about 10%, mix around 20% and tone about half.

The parallel effects loop is a beautiful thing, and I like that I can put my octave pedal in it and switch it independently of the OD. Using the HPF on the 80 Hz setting seemed to be helpful in controlling some of the rumble I sometimes get.

Didn't get a chance to test the DI out but from what I've heard I need not worry about its quality. Overall I'm very impressed with this unit and I'm looking forward to playing with it some more and using it on the next gig. :bassist:

Ba55Man1ac and Stumbo like this.
  3. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Overall the OD is a nice pre, the di is very high quality as you would expect from Radial.

skyline_01 likes this.
  4. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    I was already pretty certain the DI would be great but it's nice to hear a testimony. I'm really loving this pedal so far - thanks for weighing in!

5. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Been thinking of trying to make a trade for one of these lately to give a try. I'm always using the VT Bass DI but always love to explore preamp options.

skyline_01 likes this.
  6. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Right on! I actually had the VT Deluxe before I got the Radial. I bought the VT on impulse while at Chicago Music Exchange, and mainly for the switching between two basses (not necessarily for the overdrive/Ampeg sounds). I thought that it sounded good with the Jazz Deluxe V I had at the time and my fretless 'Ray too. Then I traded the Jazz and got a G&L L2500 Tribute and found that the coloration of the VT was WAY too much for the G&L. It completely changed the sound to the point that it was like hearing a different bass, even with the character and drive knobs all the way down on the pedal.

If you really like and rely on the VT sound then you might be better off to keep it around. But if you're looking for a solid, uncolored 2-ch preamp that will pass the true sound of your basses and give you clean EQ and a good DI (and a bunch of other useful features) then this may be the ticket. I'm completely satisfied with it thus far and highly recommend it.

BTW the bassbone v2 is essentially like the Bassbone OD but without the overdrive, and it also has the HPF and 3-band EQ on just one channel instead of two like the OD.

mattattack187 likes this.
  7. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Always loved the original VT Bass & Deluxe but the DI Version added the blend which just increased the tonal abilities even more. Keeping the original bass tone intact with that hint of Ampeg color.

skyline_01 likes this.
  8. skyline_01

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Yep, there's no doubt that they're great pedals. Like I said, I like the way that it sounded with my Jazz Deluxe V but I just found that I needed something "cleaner" to do the switching when I got the G&L.

If you're in a position to keep the VT and add the Radial then that could be a "best of both worlds" situation. You could kick the VT in and out when you want the Ampeg sound but also have the 2-ch switching and EQ/DI/HPF of the Radial. Just a thought.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022