1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD: SA Aftershock

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Mar 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    just arrived, the much anticipated Source Audio Aftershock Bass OD/Distortion/Fuzz. I've barely scratched the surface of what this pedal can do (with the software), but so far i'm thoroughly impressed.

aftershock-01.

check out the extensive list of pedals and parameters!:

aftershockprogram2.

2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    Looks like a knob twidder's delight....actually that sounds a bit wrong...

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Looks very very cool

blastbass and blindrabbit like this.
  4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Wow - looks super awesome. I was lucky enough to be on the tourbox and was honestly more impressed with its potential than what it could do right then (no software yet) - I might have to pick one of these up after all!

Is this editor on PC or is it a phone app?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  5. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    How about the sound?
    Most of the digital distortion emulators out there are not that great.
    I know that SA OFD is in a diferent range, but what I 've tried with the Line 6 Bass Pod, Zoom B3, Line 6 M5, Behringer, etc., are simply not usable OD/distortions.

torza, 10cc and Teijo K. like this.
  6. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    So if I'm right... You can use the software to update the distortion type across any of their distortion pedals completely? And reassign the knobs so could blend two distortions together instead of a clean / distortion blend??

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dang that looks awesome. Looks exactly like TC Electronics Toneprint stuff, but SA beat them to the punch with an OD/distortion pedal.

jaydnt and jp58 like this.
  8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Does this come with a B3K model or is that a preset you created?!

And it looks like you can blend both channels in parallel but send to one output?

I just soiled myself.

Matthew_84 and adamaarts like this.
  9. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I tried one at NAMM last year and can confirm it sound amazing.

10. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it sounds awesome. IMO, features mean nothing if a pedal doesn't sound good to begin with.

hisdudeness, Ikkir, SirMjac28 and 7 others like this.
  11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it comes with a B3K preset. I didn't create any of the models listed in the software.

yep.

blindrabbit and pudgychef like this.
  12. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    This looks suuuuuuuuuuppeer cool.

Can someone explain something about reliability and repeatability of these types of pedals.

Once I program it is it set in stone? If I drop it down the stairs at a gig are the presets still there?

If I buy a spare or new one, how easy it to copy the settings?

I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just a luddite and not sure how digital effects handle these scenarios.

13. subscribed!

14. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Wow, didn't know they were out yet! I'm thoroughly impressed with the One Series, so ill be buying an Aftershock asap. Might fit my needs for rat based sounds, since the TFR and Sasori cover a lot of the more vintage tones.

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    So there are external switch options for the Aftershock... does this mean we can access presets using an external switch (similar to the Nemesis)?

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The Source Audio dirt tones are really, really good. Everything from touch sensitive grit to huge, compressed fuzz tones. I really doubt anyone could pick out the OFD (or Aftershock) tones as digital when compared with traditional analog dirt.

That said, while the tones are very good, they don't always nail the sound they are going for. The "El Raton" setting for instance doesn't sound exactly like a Rat. The "Big Pi" is more aggressive and less creamy/smooth than a Big Muff etc. With the OFD I could usually get pretty close with the very versatile controls but the Aftershock should really let you tailor them exactly. I have the SA Lunar Phaser and the app is both super deep and easy to use. Really nice stuff.

17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I wouldn't be convinced unless I tried this in the mix. That being said, I'd love to get one and try it haha

monsterthompson likes this.
  18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Do you know how much this is going to cost by chance??

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I've been using a Bass OFD as my sole source of dirt since 2013, so I can confirm that it really is an awesome box.

In the case of the Big Pi model, I believe it was modeled more directly on the Russian/Sovtek versions, which were more aggressive, and not the American ones which are creamier. EHX's modern version of the Russian Big Muff, the Bass Big Muff, is very similar to the old Russian ones as well as the Big Pi model on the OFD. I haven't tried the guitar OFD, but I'm willing to be the guitar version's Big Pi is creamier and more like the American. With the Aftershock, we'll be able to use that guitar version if we want to - something you can't do on the Bass OFD.

20. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    Sex