1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD! (SGD Lutherie)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Timmah, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Timmah

Timmah

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    So yesterday the USPS dropped these beauties at my door: ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364685726.035623.
    (deep neck, narrow bridge)
    And I installed them this morning. They sound great, and I will put up a full review after tomorrow's church service gig.
    But first, I have a few questions:
    1. The output seems really low. The tone is great, don't get me wrong, but I need to crank the gain on my amp to get the signal to the same level. Any ideas as to why?
    2. My only thought is that it may be because of the wiring- I have a 2 tone, 1 volume, one 3 way switch configuration right now. If that is the problem, how should I go about rewiring?

Again, these pickups are fantastic. I love them already.

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    :D

They are lower output pickups. If you recall, they were originally based on a Lane Poor design, which are also low output pickups. I tweaked the design and wound them hotter. But if you make them too hot they will lose that tone. The HB size is also a bit smaller, so the coils have less wire on them. I wind the HB size hotter to compensate.

Are you using 500k pots?

Post pictures of the bass!

Sorry they took so long to get to you.

3. Sidewinders, I assume?

Interested in review.

4. Timmah

Timmah

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    So, the review:
    I showed up at church this morning a little worried abouthow my bass would perform.It has new strings on it (Roto 66s), which is generally a no-no before any gig. Regardless, I plugged into the church's 1x12 Behringer combo (it really isn't atrocious- it's fairly neutral and clean, and I haven't heard of the church having any reliability issues yet, but I digress). When I plugged in, I was really surprised. Even with the new bright strings, the pickups weren't harsh like my old ones (EMG Select) were, but the high end response was clear and defined. They have lots of bite without being grindy and grating, if that makes sense.
    I rolled the tone of the deep neck pickup all the way off (without changing the amp's settings at all) and my bass gave me this great big pillowy mowtowny sound. Me gusta. For a burpier tone, I switched to both pickups, with the tone about halfway on. Good stuff.

That deep neck pickup is cool- it gives a nice big, round bottom with the tone off a bit, and it isn't as aggressive as the bridge pickup, so it works well for a mellow but clear tone. Like David says, it has a nice hollow tone with a really smooth relaxed high end.

The narrow bridge pickup, however, is like the neck's evil twin. It isn't super full sounding, but it puts out a tight low end with aggressive mids and really clear highs. Me Gusta.

The wiring is still not dead silent (a minor grounding issue I was too impatient to fix- I wanted to hear the pickups!) and I haven't played around a whole lot yet, but I love what I'm hearing. The pickups are everything I hoped they would be- they can thump, burp, bark, and (especially with the Rotos) growl.

In short, I would recommend these pickups in a second to anyone. They do all they should and more with ease. They did take a while to get to me, but they say good things come to those who wait. David is personable and helpful (when his PM box isn't overloaded) and very knowledgeable. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play my bass. :bassist: