1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPD: Valeton Dapper Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I bought it off Amazon for 127.00 shipped. It seems as well built as any other pedal I've used. I bought it mainly to replace a DI, Spectracomp, and a tuner.

I cannot speak to the performance of the DI yet. I had to cancel a gig this weekend and it'll be 2 weeks before another comes along.

The Chorus isn't bad at all. It does seem to add a little color (in addition to the effect.) We do maybe 2 songs that have that effect and it'll be just fine for those.

The bass amp section (from what I gather) modeled after Ampeg? Not sure. It seems pretty Sansamp-ish to me. I was able to find settings that I was happy with.

The Octave section is 2 below. When using it in open E it's squirrelly. Playing up the neck it's fine. Using both at the same time doesn't sound that great to me.

The Dirty Q is one I haven't spent much time on. I can't see myself using it. I've never owned a fuzz or envelope filter so I can can't speak to it's usefulness or quality.

The boost/compressor section is simple and is what I was hoping for. It seems to warm up the signal without being harsh, even when cranked.

I didn't have any issues with the tuner. We play tuned down a half step and I didn't have any issues getting there.

IMG_20210205_183724354.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  2. Looks interesting. Not gonna lie, that paint scheme is... unattractive ;). Price is right, though.

Stinsok likes this.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I got the chance to use it at a gig last night. I used my Sire V3 in passive mode because I used the Bass Amp section and didn't want to mess with two competing EQ sections. I had the boost/comp section on the whole time with the gain turned down and the compression knob around 10 o'clock. The sound guy said the DI signal had no issues.

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah, all regular analog Octave pedals get squirrelly down on the open E, but I've never seen anyone try to use Oct2 with a bass - many people even cut the Octave 2 part of the circuit out of their Boss OC2 pedals entirely, for instance.

I wondered about these types of units - what's the signal sound like if you bypass the "Bass amp" section? Good enough to allow that section to be used just as a second flavor maybe for the OD?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021