1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

NPD: Valeton OC-10 Octave

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NortyFiner, May 16, 2017.

1. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    After hearing so much about the Boss OC-2 octave, I decided during Reverb's last sale to spring a few bucks for a Valeton OC-10, which is billed Valeton's "re-creation" of the OC-2. It arrived today, and some quick impressions...

- The build quality is top notch, as solid as what you'd expect from Boss themselves. Heavy metal housing, pots and knobs and footswitch feel very firm, jacks are tight, and the paint job looks good.

- I had some trouble getting a visual grip on the size of the OC-10 from the demos I had seen. It turns out in person that it's not much bigger than a typical 1590A mini pedal. Comparing it to my Fairfield Accountant, the OC-10 is the same length and maybe 1/4 inch wider at most. Great fit for small boards.

- I lined the OC-10 up next to my EHX Micro POG for an octave A/B test, using my Squier Jag SS through my board (all other pedals off) into my GK MB212 amp and headphones. Of course, the two pedals have different functions; the OC-10 has a double octave down like the OC-2, while the POG has an octave up, so I focused mostly on comparing the single octave down on both pedals.

- I started by setting the dry and octave down on both pedals to noon, and turned the other knobs all the way off. The first thing I noticed was that the OC-10 had slightly less noise; the next thing I noticed was that its octave down was a bit stronger and more "forward" in the overall tone, like a solid growl or rumble. The POG was more subtle, with the octave being more like a lower pitched echo or harmony of the dry tone.

- Turning the POG's octave to about 1-2 o'clock brought it more forward as well, to what I felt like matched the OC-10, but then I noticed that it sounded a little more...I don't want to say "artificial". Maybe "digital" is better. It was clearer, less growling than the OC-10. Neither was worse; they were just different tones, both very useful in their own way.

- I didn't immediately notice any significant tracking issues, except maybe on really low and really high notes.

- I tried the double octave down on the OC-10 briefly, and it wasn't my thing. It sounded dark and muddy and a bit boomy depending on how I hit notes; I have an idea that tweaking my EQ might fix that somewhat. It's probably great for guitar, but not quite so useful for bass, at least for me. Maybe someone who downtunes or wants to play really deep and sludgy would like it. Transposing up and then playing over the double octave might work as well...

- I have a MXR Bass Octave Deluxe on the way. I'll compare the OC-10 to that as well, once it arrives, and add that to this thread.

All in all, the OC-10 looks, feels, and sounds so far like a very good pedal for the price. Definitely worthy of its place alongside the OC-2 for sure.

I am planning to look at some of the other Valeton Loft pedals as well, particularly the CH-10 chorus and CS-10 compressor. If anyone has any info on those, I'd be interested to hear it.

ccouch7, Shadowkast, Nunovsky and 3 others like this.
  2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    How does the octave down sounds soloed? That's the magic of the OC-2, that synthy octave down that sounds great.

3. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    If it's anything like the octave section of the Dapper Bass, it sounds damn good.

Rumbles and Nunovsky like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021