1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD: Way late to the party - SA Aftershock

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Feb 28, 2018.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I in no way needed another dirt pedal, but I picked one up fairly cheap, just got it today. I want to get into the Nero available dirt sounds. A lot of you still rockin the Aftershock?

DCBCBF4F-2947-4046-BAB9-D7C907A93BF1.

jaysbass2002, kesslari, Brio and 5 others like this.
  2. Yes it's a great bass dirt box. I have about 20 patches set up via the hub and I access mine via a Boss ES-5. The hub also allows another way to edit the Aftershock. What I would say is that the 4 band EQ is very powerful and probably the biggest influence on the overall sound. Many of the different emulations of pedals seem pretty much the same engine but with vastly different EQ's. In the list of effect models, there are a few that are very useful and others that aren't so useful. I found that it seems best at emulating overdrive or overdrive sourced fuzz pedals, and it can do this all day long and extremely well. In fact it produces the cleanest and most transparent light overdrive I've ever heard. But it's no so good at emulating heavy saw tooth fuzzes like the Mastotron. I'm finding it hard to find any good saw tooth fuzz patches. If you want compressed dirt...just cascade two of the same effects and it compresses like crazy.

3. ThrewSilver

ThrewSilver Banned Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2017
    For the sound quality and features the Aftershock is truly an absurd value.

Abe-of-Bass, Brio, Ikkir and 2 others like this.
  4. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I, too, was late to the AfterShock party but I'm very glad to have finally added one - crazy versatile and more importantly, just sounds fantastic. People will talk about digital this or analogue that but for me it simply boils down to whether something sounds good or not. And the AfterShock sounds great.

I was in on the ground floor with SA pedals and remember when I had a Multiwave Bass Distortion and Bass Envelope Filter (both the first versions and later the Pro versions). Back then I didn't have a clue what I was doing with effects and never gave those pedals the time I should have (I can say that for a lot of pedals back then, though). But its different now. I understand so much more about how all the parameters work together so tweaking the SA stuff now is no longer an exercise in just mindlessly turning knobs. Now its actually a pleasure to create sounds and work with the App and desktop editor. I'm in the process of transforming most of my board to SA One Series and Soundblox 2 pedals (the Manta arrives today which should complete my collection) and now that I've been programming entire scenes with the HUB, I can't think of a time where I've had this much flexibility and control.

I'm putting together a much longer and detailed post for the Source Audio thread but for now just wanted to say that yeah, I'm a big fan of the AfterShock.

rsmith601, hintz and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  5. I no longer rock mine... for what it is it’s insanely awesome but I never have the time to program it. Used live I had an issue with volume that I could never emulate again so not sure what that was... I guess I agree it didn’t replace my mini 66, mastotron or turborat pedals. If I didbt have them / never knew about them I think all the engines would be enough for most dirt!

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    @Fiset I just recently got a Manta2 also. I need to figure it out. The 2 presets from the previous owner are cool and it has made me lazy with digging into it. I just plugged it in and it made cool sounds.

As for the Aftershock, I’m having a weird volume issue. I plugged it into the Nero desktop app and it’s firmware is up to date. When I engage the pedal, I get a volume drop, then if it barely touch the level knob, the volume then jump back up to where it was. It does this on all three toggle positions. Any time I engage or disengage the pedal the issue comes back.

Any ideas on this?

kesslari likes this.
  7. Brio

Brio Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Are you on the preset side or the user side? The user side remembers the knob positions so occasionally when you tweak a knob it will jump from the remembered position to wherever you’re turning. You can also save any patch on the preset side which is wysiwyg. Once I started using the preset side I was much happier with my Aftershock.

vivaknoxvegas and Fiset like this.
  8. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Yeah, I was gonna ask the same question. I've been using all presets from the moment I turned it on so I haven't had any volume jump issues.

9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't even know, I may be. I'll have to check it tonight. The preset switch is the push button at the top of the pedal where power is, right?

10. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I had the Manta and the Lunar. Only reasons I flipped the Lunar was due to not using modulation and not needing something with so many sounds/options that I eventually glazed over. It's the same reason I want an analog (rather than digital) cab sim.

The Manta has awesome sounds, but I am pretty particular about filters being highly responsive to dynamics. You'll notice you can lower the threshold of the Manta and then dig in to make it open up more dramatically. Unfortunately, that sensitivity will compensate and adjust to stronger attack and then take 30+ seconds of no playing or super light touch before the threshold comes back down. It's a very specific thing, but it's why I never got along with that filter.

I'm wondering if the aftershock has that same sort of "sensitivity" that self adjusts...

11. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Nope. You can save a preset that will engage when you step on the footswitch by pressing and holding the footswitch for 5 seconds or so. You'll know you're in the preset mode if the LED turns red. At that point you can set the all the parameters how you want and then press and hold the footswitch again until the LED blinks three times. When you then step on the footswitch, you'll get that preset, regardless of the knob positions at the time you engage.

Another way to create presets is to use the App to create new sounds (or pick from already created sounds) to assign to each of the three positions of the toggle switch. This is what I've done. I have created three separate sounds to take the place of the stock sounds for each toggle switch position. I won't explain the entire process here but the gist of it is that once you create the sound using all the parameters in the app, you then "burn" it to the pedal. When you go to burn it, the App will ask you to select a toggle switch destination for that sound and you choose between Toggle Switch Left, Middle or Right. Make your selection and then that sound (and all of its parameters you have adjusted) will take the place of the sound thats currently using that toggle switch position.

Since you bought the pedal used, the previous owner may have set up presets on each of the toggle switch positions. When you select any of the toggle switch positions you may be getting his preset, which includes all the parameters he set up and burned to the pedal. So the presets are not reading the knob position you currently have until you move a knob...at that point the pedal will adjust to wherever the knob is. So if I were in your place, I would probably start by doing a factory reset of the pedal to wipe out whatever presets were created by the previous owner. Then you can play around with the stock sounds and adjust to taste. You can do a factory reset by going into the hardware options in the app and then you'll see a big button for Factory Reset.

I've only had the pedal a short while so I may not be explaining all of this quite right. If you reach out to Source Audio directly (Roger Smith and Nathan Navarro are frequent posters here or you can contact them at contact@sourceaudio.net) they'll definitely get you sorted.

hintz, Brio and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  12. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Awesome info @Fiset I really appreciate it. It sounds like that's the issue, when I turn a knob it's returning to that manual setting giving me a spike in volume. When I got in last night to the Neuro desktop app, it looked all stock, but I could be wrong. I also didn't see the factory reset option. I will look again tonight.

13. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I'm not sure if Factory Reset is available on the desktop app as I've only worked with the Neuro App on my tablet. If you don't see it on the desktop, check the Neuro App, its definitely there in the hardware settings.

Edited to add - While I haven't worked with the desktop app, I think there's a button or a way to select that the desktop app read the actual physical settings on the pedal. This isn't available on the phone app (as far as I know)

14. Brio

Brio Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    I can also say with confidence that if the AS is new to you this is all easy leaning curve to get over and once you start really making it your own it will be your favorite drive/dirt/distortion/fuzz etc.

vivaknoxvegas and Fiset like this.
  15. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I agree completely. It didn't take long to get the hang of creating and assigning my own sounds. And now that I've added a HUB and Midi Mouse to my board, the creative scene making process between the AfterShock and the other SA pedals on my board feels almost limitless.

Brio, vivaknoxvegas and Abe-of-Bass like this.
  16. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I need a picture of all that SA goodness and creative power @Fiset

Fiset likes this.
  17. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Sure thing...I'll snap a few when I get home tonight.

18. Fiset

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Here are a couple of quick shots. I'm still organizing wires and such but this is where things are at the moment:

Family shot, with the ancillary boards:

_DSC5705.

Main board by itself (which is being totally dominated by SA):
    _DSC5706.

vivaknoxvegas and theunknowndude like this.
  19. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Boards look awesome @Fiset

Love the (primarily) SA and Darkglass board. So does the midi mouse control all the SA pedals? I am midi ignorant. I've never used it with any pedals, ever.

hintz likes this.
  20. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Subbed, I've been thinking about getting the Aftershock for quite awhile now but I know nothing about the world of midi. TBH I've been sorta afraid of the inevitable rabbit hole I might fall down, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

I've owned a few different SA pedals but the only one that has stuck is the multiwave bass dist. for a synth tone.

After seeing some demos where the Aftershock can do that "foldover/foldback" type synth drive I use on the Multiwave *and* can cop the DG tones I'm pretty sold on this.

Don't mean to hijack, but is there a midi type switcher that can program analog pedals as well? I have an old OC2 that would be awesome to get in the mix of presets.