1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD - Where to start with Boss GT-1B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Yonni, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Tomorrow my GT-1B arrives. I think I’ve read every thread on here about it (there’s actually not that much!). My question to you multieffecters is where to start? This is my first pedal other than a tuner. There seems so much to try out it’s overwhelming. Any tips on what’s best about it or how you’ve found it most useful to customise it? I know there is a patch thread but how about a general owners thread?
    So what are your hints and hacks? Who’s got the weirdest sounds out of one? Clips welcome. C’mon, I don’t know where you all are but it’s cold wet and dark outside where I am, what else am I gonna do but play?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    I don't know a lot about this particular units, but I did/do have a number of multi effects, and this is a great way to get into effects.

There really is no need to over think this (unless you have a pressing specific project), but this is how I would start:
    • Figure out my basic chain: are there any additional effects, e.g. will the tuner still be needed? (probably not) Do you go out to your amp's pre? To the amp return? To headphones? To a PA speaker? (Simplest and probably most common are amp's pre or headphones)
    • See that you can replicate your existing setup (the one with the tuner) and get the same/similar sound by "bypassing" the GT.
    • Go through some existing patches, to see what you get.
    • Go through some individual effects, to see what you get (by creating a simple single-effect patch in most units). Obvious things to try: compressor, drive/fuzz, phaser, volume
    One thing to remember is that most patches out there (either the built-in ones or the ones on the net) are a biut over the top. Some people are into this sort of thing, but I suspect most people will find subtler things more useful and pleasing. Definitely try the crazy stuff, but remember that you can also get great value using just one or two subtle effects. A little goes a long way for many people.

BrentSimons, Yonni and saabfender like this.
  3. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I hear ya-not much here about the GT-1B. I bought mine about 6 months ago and the first thing I did was take a kind of "invewntory" of the presets. Then I downloaded and learned how to use the app on my MacBook and built a set of User effects that were arranged more to my liking. Most of the time I only use about five or six patches, The GK, Plex, 810, Old Blues, Old Country and Mild Tube. I don't have the MacBook that I use with the GT-1B with me at the moment, I'm on another, but I'll post more info tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Yonni likes this.
  4. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Thanks. I plan to use it more for experimenting with at home and as a portable practice/recording device. I don’t know how much beyond compression, drive and occasional chorus I’ll use in the real world but you never know. I didn’t know there was an app. I’ll download that today. I’m assuming software is both pc and Mac? I’m on windows.

5. Felix1776

Felix1776 Supporting Member

I was considering getting one of these to play around with. In for more info.

6. saabfender

saabfender Banned SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Excellent should-be-stickied advise concerning multi-Fx pedals.

Less is more, esp in a band context. Too much and you’ll function less as a bass player and more as a baritone guitarist.

Yonni and ProfFrink like this.
  7. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    I recently got one. I found the presets to be too much (I'm accompanying the organ at church). I run a compressor, an equal, and a small amount of delay. The documentation us horrible (I'm NOT a techie), but I was able to figure out how to set up a couple patches from the book and watching YouTube videos.

Yonni likes this.
  8. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    The Boss Tone Studio app is a big help- at least it was to me YMMV.

9. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    It’s here! 15 minutes ocf messing about tells me a lot of customisation is needed to get the sounds I want. I just went straight into cycling through the effects and tweaking a bit. There are some (quite a lot) that I’ll never use as they are. So I need to get into it in more depth. One thing is for sure, I’ll need more than the manual to get the most out of this. I can already see the type of thing I’m going to want to do but I guess it’s going to take a while to set it all up.

10. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Another hour or so with it and I got into the menus a bit more. I managed to get some nice sounds going and mixed a few effects up. I think I’m going to have to write out a list of all effects and where they are to understand how they can (and can’t) be combined. Overall so far I’m impressed with its potential. There really is a lot in there to play with. Haven’t tried the looper yet. That’s tomorrow’s fun.

ProfFrink likes this.
  11. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    OK, so I don’t need to list everything as Boss have done that for us:
    https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-1B_parameter_eng01_W.pdf

Shame this manual doesn’t ship with the pedal. Instead, what you get is a kind of quick start guide that gets you up and exploring for your self. No bad thing, but I would think that the Parameter List / Sound Guide is pretty key information. Anyway, there it is for anyone considering this pedal. As you can see there’s a lot already there and the way you can program the patches to meet your needs means that it will do what you want it to, once you’ve put in the time to set it up. I believe you can change patch order etc too, to make things easier to access. The caveat here is that not all effects are perfect - you may not like the compressor or fuzz etc. But there are a lot of variations so you should be able to close enough, I would think. Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are and how willing you are to invest the time.

I see this very much as a home/studio pedal for me. I have heard people say they use it live but I suspect I’ll identify the few effects I’ll use regularly and then set up a board to take out. Purely because in a live situation I don’t want to be scrolling through menus that I’d have to crouch down to read. That said, if you only need 2 or 3 sounds with little adjustment, and set those as the first 3 patches, that could work well too. Off to work now but I’ll post about the looper and maybe try setting up a patch later.

12. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    The effect order can be adjusted pretty easily. Thanks for posting the link to the documentation.

13. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    I didn’t get too much time tonight. We put the TV on earlier and Casablanca had just started. I took my wife on a date to see a reprint of it in London about 27 years ago, just after we first met. So we settled down to watch it again for old time’s sake.

Just had time after for a quick go on the looper. I put down a simple 4 bar groove and jammed major scales around the neck for a bit using different presets. That was fun and easy to use although I’ll need to get the timing of the button pushing a bit better. Anyway, that’ll prove a good practice tool and way better than playing with a metronome.

So far thing is living up to all my expectations. Tomorrow I’ll create a patch and move it around to see how easy that is.

14. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    I’m going to start creating patches now. I found a useful quick video on wiping patches in pedal or via the software. This clears all but the preamp feature. You can then build your patch up from there or keep it as a clean patch.
    For those who haven’t found the software yet, you can download it here.

I’m going to try to get a subtle drive going in one patch and a jazzier chorus, reverb, compressed in another. I’ll let you know how easy it was over the weekend.