1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPD: Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AaronVonRock, Jun 2, 2017.

1. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    IMG_0786.JPG I saw a used one for sale locally so I swooped in and bought it. After playing around with it for a few days, I would classify it as an "MSG" type pedal, meaning that it makes everything else sound a little bit better. By itself, it gives a nice beefy boost with some grit to it. Nothing amazing, though. But have it running in front of some overdrive or fuzz and really comes alive and adds something extra to the sound.

To my ears, it is similar to the TC Electronics Spark but the Phat Phuk actually adds more low end. I can see using it as an always on pedal fully dimed. I also like that it is just one knob and a pretty sparkly pink. Anyone else using one of these and digging it?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Had one, didn't think it did enough in a live mix to justify keeping it. Sounded cool at home though.

loopee and AaronVonRock like this.
  3. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Right. Haven't tried it in a band mix yet. I'll do that next week.

Frankly, I don't need another pedal that sounds good at home. I already have plenty of those.

loopee likes this.
  4. alecduncan

alecduncan

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I love mine, it does wonders after my delay to "wake up" the delay trails. Definitely a magic preamp pedal. The only reason I don't mount mine under my board as an always-on pedal is because it looks so pretty, and doesn't always play nice with my Meatbox. I'd love to hear how it sounds after the Alcapulco Gold!

5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've been curious about these for a while.

6. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Always wanted one, because it’s… well… pink and… it… you know… has a great name.

I have a Barbershop and a Spark and a Broadcast and a Euphoria, so I don’t really need it. But…

Driven Crane and monsterthompson like this.
  7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I built a Phat Phuk B clone and honestly it hasn't wowed me. While I know transistor selection makes a fair amount of difference, and I can't guarantee I'm using the same values as the production pedal, I think it's definitely in the ballpark. I've found it to be more of a gritty treble boost than anything else, and personally, it's tuned a little too much on the treble side for my tastes.

Likewise, I think that the PPB teamed with the Acapulco Gold might be a little obnoxious. Then again, I also think the Acapulco Gold is not voiced particularly well for bass and some guys seem to really love that pedal on bass. YMMV.

I have both at home. I could give them a spin and report back, but I'm pretty sure I know the outcome already...

8. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    I have the Supa version and love it. Beefs up bottom with good presence. Good mild overdrive and nicely touch sensitive.

AaronVonRock likes this.
  9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I like the Acapulco Gold on bass when I want a volcanic, nuclear holocaust sound. The AG is already so loud, boosted, and difficult to control that it really doesn't need an additional boost pedal behind it. I didn't find the Phat Phuk made it sound any better. It was the opposite to my ears.

So far playing at home, I like the Phat Phuk most when it's boosting a more mild overdrive or fuzz. My favorite sound so far is actually combining two boost pedals, the Phat Phuk going into the TC Spark. That might work for my "clean" sound on faster songs. I'll try it in the band mix this weekend at practice.