1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NPPBD (new painted parts bass day)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bound'n'blocked, Oct 10, 2018.

1. For all practical purposes this bass is new to me.
    IMG_20181009_234627768.
    This started as a Squier Standard jazz bass I got from the 'bay about ten years ago or so for 75 bucks shipped. Over the years it has been the platform I used when I wanted to try something new on. It's been a 4 to 5 conversion too. The neck on it us an Allparts bound and blocked neck I got for another bass and it's been on various projects, and this body twice.
    IMG_20181009_234618894.
    I had taken it off another bass and hated to waste it, so after reading the seafoam green thread I decided I wanted one that color, so the 3 tone sunburst is gone and here it is. I had all the parts but the four string bridge to replace the five that was on there. I replaced the electronics with a vol-blend-tone I got from reverb.com.
    The color is Krylon seaglass satin. I tried a gloss finish but sanded it down a little too much and couldn't get back to the gloss so it's kinda semi gloss but I like it
    IMG_20181009_234648557.

BnB

2. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I like it!

mmon77 and bound'n'blocked like this.
  3. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Nice who did the paint job?

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  4. I did! I'm not remotely set up for doing a paint job properly, but I do them anyway. I usually have to wait for a good weather day and just do them outside on the porch and bring them in afterwards and hang in the closet to cure. I'm not usually a fan of Krylon, but I liked this color and it went on amazingly smooth. I had put two coats of clear on and it was nice and smooth, so of course I had to complicate stuff by putting on two more coats and got some orange peel that sanded out, but I lost a lot of the shine. I'm happy with it though. It's not perfect but it's very smooth. Probably the best job I've done yet.

Thanks for the comments...

BnB

5. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Would you like to see my 'rattle can' VM Squier?

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Love the color.

7. Sure! Bring it on!

Thanks. It's a little greener in person I think. But like SFG seems to be, it depends on what is around it as to how it looks.

BnB

The Chuck likes this.
  8. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    It was the three tone bust with tort. Painted the pick guard too.

upload_2018-10-10_16-6-14.

9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks great, especially with that pickguard!

10. Love that color! That's really what I want to do next. What paint did you use for that? Where did you get it?

BnB

The Chuck likes this.
  11. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks! It is Testers Lime Ice. Got it at Michael's :thumbsup:

It has a fine yellow metal flake. You can kind of see it in the picture I poster of the bass outside.

upload_2018-10-10_16-18-0.

12. FenderB

FenderB Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    That's beautiful, well done.

13. That's the same stuff I used for the clear coat. I get Testors wet look clear lacquer. As I said in a post above I should have left well enough alone and stopped at the first round of clear. Those paints are good

BnB

The Chuck likes this.
  14. I thought of this CoC song:

painted smiling BASS

15. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Groovy :cool:

16. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Now that is one heck of a color. It's so weird... That it just works. I kind of like it. It's also very cool that it's your work, and all the right things came together to make a unique little Bass.

17. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    BOTH of those basses are serious statements!!!

Very cool! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::woot:

18. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Love the color....needs a rosewood board though.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice bass, but it looks like the neck is shifting in its pocket and making the strings too close to the edge on the E string side. Might need to throw a little shim in the G string side to fix it.

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ditto, BnB... overall, I love the bass! You know I wasn't going to let the shift get by, as I went through the same thing...

... hop to it! :)