1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NPR, Terry Gross and the Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by boombloom, Jul 8, 2012.

1. I loaded up my iPod with some Fresh Air interviews with musicians in preparation for a recent road trip. I listened to Terry Gross interview Levon Helm about his Dirt Farmer and Midnight Ramble work, Earl Scruggs about bluegrass and some others. There were many clips of the music discussed. Lots of musicians were named during these interviews and credits were given before or after each tune, but I didn't hear even the standard "and on bass" line. Really. What gives?

2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    AS USUAL, the bass player is invisible when doing a good job, and noticed when doing a bad job or is absent from a song. We must revel in our anonymity or be forever frustrated in our role.

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Well, there is the infamous Gene Simmons interview.
    You will have to find it through a source other than the show's archives, however.

4. Is that the one where he gets raunchy with Terry? Another one to listen to is the interview with Robert Plant. He tells Terry "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love" then a long awkward silence, on the radio. Embarrasing :scowl::rollno:

5. C'mon now. They never even got to first bass.

6. I don't think Terry did anything with him, she has more class than that. I think she was more embarrassed for Plant. Terry does have a sexy voice though.

7. Mark 63

Mark 63 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    When that Gene Simmons interview happened I was working with some older people who were a bit out of touch. Not that old, but not hip to anything in music after the 60s. Some of us were talking about NPR, and I mentioned that Gene Simmons had said rude things to Terry Gross. A copy editor named Maxine looked puzzled and asked, why would Jean Simmons be rude to Terry Gross? Now Maxine had once hung with Sun Ra and his Arkestra, so she got a pass on that one.

Another guy there once asked me, why would Cameron Crowe be married to Nancy Wilson?

He got no pass.